Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Management Units and Forestry Roads

Re: Management Units and Forestry Roads

The government servers seem to be functional again. The MU and forest roads are showing up on Google Earth for me now.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Sooo, silly question maybe but how do you get a more current Google. The scans of the area I am looking at are really old as I know the area very well. It has grown up considerably since the pics were taken. In fact, you would hooped if you based a trip on the images provided by google other than elevation and water. I estimate the image to be 6 yrs old or so.

Still just love google earth though. Dream hunting.
    Do not mess with nature...... as you are small AND biodegradable

The countryside is a soggy sort of place where animals and birds wander around uncooked!

Awesome... I am going to email that link to myself and see if it will work with the Googe Earth app on my iPhone! If if does it would be great to have if/when hunting in an area with cell service.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

The images in my areas are old as well.

I don't know if there are more up-to-date photos available?

One help is the forest roads. They are more up to date, and at least give you an idea of what areas have been logged in the past couple of years.

If you look at the bottom of the Google Earth window you'll see that the images are courtesy of the Province of BC. I guess they're sharing their image database with Google. Whenever the Province gets around to updating them is when Google gets them. (Some cities -- like Surrey -- provide images too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    The file I used was one that the governemt used to offer on their GEO BC website. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to find the same file through their current offerings.
    You can get something like that using the "new and improved" GeoBC KML under GeoBC Web Map Library --> BCGov Base Mapping WMS --> Transportation --> Transportation - Unpaved Roads. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I like to turn on the lake names layer when moving around so there are a few landmarks I can recognize. There are all kinds of useful layers there if you dig - all the MU and LEH zone boundaries for example.

Quote Originally Posted by demlake View Post
    The images in my areas are old as well.

I don't know if there are more up-to-date photos available?
    Sometimes you can get better photos under the GeoBC Web Map Library --> BC Gov Base Mapping WMS --> BCGov Imagery WMS --> Provincial Mosaics. There are a bunch of different imagery layers from different sources of varying quality.

The main GeoBC .kmz file to load all this stuff into Google Earth can be found at http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms...es_Library.kmz

Thanks reach.

That's a great addition.

If you add the following layer:

GeoBC Web Map Library
    -BCGov Licenses and Permits WMS
    -Forest Cut Blocks - FTEN
    o All Forest Cut Blocks - Outlined
    it will show you current logged blocks.

In the area we log, at least, it's showing blocks we logged this past spring.

Lots of other good sources of info as well.

Typical government... that had a perfectly thing in place and they screwed it up. The Google Earth Management Unit info on the B.C. government site USED to convienently show the management unit numbers inside each management unit.... but they fixed that. Now, not only do you not get to know what MU you are looking at, you have to look in in a different spot within the overall Google Earth file just to find the MU data.

The new file is available here.

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/fsp...2010_03_31.kmz

Once you have it open in Google Earth, look in Management Objectives / Wildlife / Wildlife Management Units. A really useful legend pops up (I'm kidding... the legend sucks) showing the different Management Unit colours. They are all so similar that you can't tell them apart. Oh well... our tax dollars at work.

Forestry cut blocks can now be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Forest Cut Blocks

Forestry roads can now be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Forest Road Segments

Also, if you're looking to find the destinctions between Private Property and Crown Land, that can be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Cadastral Fabric

What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Dammit I am not doing well with this
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”