Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut

Re: Sauerkraut

You guys are killin' me!!!!

Sausage and sauerkraut in just about any combination is about my favorite food on the planet, and due to a health related diet, I haven't had any for almost 8 months! Argggh...

3 favorite memories:

1. After an excellent Tragically Hip concert in Calgary, while walking back to the hotel, I picked up what is possibly the best smokey I've ever eaten from a street vendor. It was -20C and before I could even sink my teeth in, the sauerkraut was starting to freeze at the tips. Mmmmm...man that was a good one.

2. Neuremberg wieners, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and German beer in Frankfurt.

3. Any one of the hundreds of Browns Meats Hot Cheese Bison Smokies (how I miss thee!) with sauerkraut while camping at Koocanusa...ohh yeah.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Every New Years I cook a LARGE pot of sauerkraut with onions, garlic, spices, ribs, pork hocks, chops, smokies, european weiners, and any other pork I feel like throwing in.

It sits on the stove simmering and it's our goto food over New Years. Even my Philipino In-laws ask for it.
    Last edited by johnes50; 07-30-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

There's a place called the "Sausage House" in Calgary run by a German crew. They burn a hole down the centre of their home-style buns so you can insert your favorite wurst with sauerkraut and mustard--and there are no leaks because the bun isn't sliced! Awesome! And Value Village is next door--so other family members can have their pleasures too!

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I made sauerkraut by cutting up 50 pounds of cabbages into a plastic container used for wine making.(Food safe)I salted with rock salt about every 4 or 5 inches. Once in a while I mixed the whole thing by reaching way down and swirling it around, also squeezing with my hands. Sliced 4 onions into the mix as well. Put a large round glass tray on top, with a plastic jug full of water on that for weight.Every day I removed the tray and jug, and cleaned the top of the juice with a clean cloth, then replaced. Kept it in a room about 18 degrees C and filled the house with that smell. After a week or so I put it in my cold room (55 F) and tasted it daily until it seemed perfect. Believe it or not I froze it in bags(make sure lots of juice too). And it kept perfectly ---but only lasted a few months --Ha! Ha! So don't be afraid to ty it!

Gatehouse! Now you're killing me too! Gotta go get some more sausages!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post

YYYEEEESSS!!!!!!!

put in in some mash with bacon! YUM
    Honey Holes! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is all

Need to get some bison smokies. Tonight we're settling for honey garlic bratwurst with German wine sauerkraut. I prefer German draft beer, but only see it at Octoberfest time. My hunting partner always coughs up for a few cans of Holsten beer--Lager or dark, but it'll put you to bed before you can break out the polkas.LOL LOL

Bow Walker Guest

One of the better beers that I've tasted (and is readily available) is DAB, a German Lager IIRC. Reallt smooth and flavorful.

Sorta like "a lotta Dab'll do ya"? (Sorry for the cheap pun, I was reading a Jelvis post this AM.)
    I'll keep an eye out for DAB here in town.