Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot Placement on Bears

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Shot Placement on Bears

Original question - "I plan to go after Black Bears this spring with my bow and arrow........and was wondering if anybody has tips and tricks for shot placement."

It might be good information about the gun hit/placement, but this is an archery thread.

Although the info about how a bear reacts from different shots is got to be great info for the hunter to keep in mind.

Broadside tight in behind the shoulder and not to high on the chest. Bears have a lot of fat and hair and it takes a while for the blood to start running well. The only one that I've seen that didn't make a good run (arrowed bears) is one a buddy took at 5 m's as it walked down a willow choked spur road right in front of his ambush. That one was pumped out and down in 10m's!

To not hit them too low, you do have to consider that some bears have a lot of flab and hair hanging below their chest.

When a bowhunter says he aims tight in behind the front shoulder he stands a good chance of hitting the leg bone . This is OK with a rifle and possibly with some of the higher poundage compounds but is a poor shot placement for a Traditional bow .
    I try to pick a spot center between front leg bone and diaphram and half way up the body. This results in a lethal point with 6 to 8 inches surrounding it. Two inches forward from tight in behind the front shoulder risks a hit directly on that leg bone .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    Last edited by greybark; 05-28-2006 at 02:08 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC