Thread: A bunch of bow questions...

A bunch of bow questions...

My brother just inherited a bow and gave it to me. It's a Bowtech Allegence (2007) with a Spot Hog sight on it. I havn't shot a bow in three years and I am a gun guy, but I plan on using it so my questions are:

1) Can I still get draw length modules for this bow?

2) The Spot Hog sight is clearly for target shooting as the pins are barely visible they are so small and the the sight has a long radius (like seven inches). Can I make this sight work for hunting or should I just get a new one?

3) Does anybody use a Whisker biscuit anymore? It has a pretty solid looking one on it but I see most guys using fall aways now? Are they legit or should I get a new one?

4) How much draw length can you gain from a string loop whithout getting carried away and affecting performance?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this thing. It seems like apretty solid unit but I realize I have to change few things to make it practical for hunting. I'd like to get several hundred shots in before hunting season so I need to make these changes soon.

Thanks in advance for the responses guys.

Brenden

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A bunch of bow questions...

1)yes 2007 Allys come with Center track Binary Cams .. Bowtech used these cams up untill last year that I know of when the high end of the brand went to "Overdrive" cams ... Modules are easy to come by ... expect about 50-60 bucks from a dealer .... some internet forums see them for sale from time to time. Be certain never to have the draw stop post fall out ... if you overdraw those Cams you will lock up the bow and the only way to get it back will be to press it

2) the Spot Hog is a great sight and almost bulletproof .. alot of people prefer the smaller pins ... If you interested in Selling it Let me know .. I would be interested in Buying it if you dont want to use it

3)The WB is still one of the most popular hunting rests on the market .... the design has no doubt changed a bit from the model that is on that bow ... but if you wanna hunt ...its real tough to beat ... there is a thread in the archery section talking about the WB ... I listed the pros and cons and how to take care of it so you wouldnt have any worrys with one

4)String loops are not ment to compensate for lack of draw lenth ... but a finished loop could "theorecally"(sp) be up to an just about an inch long ...but even so that will slow you bow down drastically ... anything on your string hurts ends performace (speed wise) with the exception of Speed balls located near the cams on the string, IMHO a finished loop should be no more than 1/2 inch ... as most cam systems come in 1/2 increaments and then you can play with let-off a bit to change the draw and add your loop to be be perfect.

what is the bow set at and what is your draw lenth ... I know theses Cams well as they are on my 2008 101st Airborne ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bowzone Mikey has covered it all.

The only thing I'd suggest is taking it over to Kevin Evans' place (Kootenay Archery, over by Rosen Lake) and get him to set it up for you. He's awesome, and will have you shooting little groups with it before you know it.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Bow Walker Guest

If you are anywhere near Kevan's place - Kootenay Archery - take it in and get him to set it up for you. You will be impressed.

1. Yes. Check around at archery outlets and you'll find them quite easily.

2. Spot Hogg make excellent sights. They are virtually indestructible. Shoot it for a while, then if you still don't like it - sell it. You'll have no problem moving it.

3. Whisker Biscuit is probably the most easily set up hunting/target rest that there is. Try it - then decide.

4. String loops will lose you a bit of draw length. You'll lose about 2 - 3 fps. Do not make the d-loop overly long. Make it so that it clears the arrow nock and you can get your release in the comfortably - no longer than that.

If your in the EK ... I didnt see a location... then Yes ... Go see Kevin ... I have had the pleasure of knowing him for about 10 years(although I havent seen him in at least 2 or 3) and he is an archery Genious

BW in Brendens post question 4 ... I am assuming that the draw of the bow is too short for him and he is looking at a loop to make make up the differance to his anchor point ... BTW ... not something I reccomend .... One can play around with differant releases,let off, twist of strings and cables (very finicky on the center trac cams BTW) and a few other "trick" to gain Draw without changing mods ..but most of them are good to 1/4-7/16" at most ... if one were to make a longer loop I would then reccomend a "Double Under Loop" where both tie points are under the arrow nock ,Same 4" or so ..but you get a bit more lenth for the same weight... or shoot off the string with a release loop ... like Old school ...80s/90s
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Point taken BZM, I agree with your analysis.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the sound advice. I know Kevin well and I am off to see him. Thanks again.

BZM : The sight is a "HOG IT" and I might sell it. PM me.

Thanks again

Brenden

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    My brother just inherited a bow and gave it to me. It's a Bowtech Allegence (2007) with a Spot Hog sight on it. I havn't shot a bow in three years and I am a gun guy, but I plan on using it so my questions are:

1) Can I still get draw length modules for this bow?

2) The Spot Hog sight is clearly for target shooting as the pins are barely visible they are so small and the the sight has a long radius (like seven inches). Can I make this sight work for hunting or should I just get a new one?

3) Does anybody use a Whisker biscuit anymore? It has a pretty solid looking one on it but I see most guys using fall aways now? Are they legit or should I get a new one?

4) How much draw length can you gain from a string loop whithout getting carried away and affecting performance?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this thing. It seems like apretty solid unit but I realize I have to change few things to make it practical for hunting. I'd like to get several hundred shots in before hunting season so I need to make these changes soon.

Thanks in advance for the responses guys.

Brenden
    Get yourself the right module, have it tuned up , and your good to go with what you have