Cost of natural gas burnt in July 2010 =$1.49
    Delivery charge =$31.86 Commodity charge =$17.33 Franchise fee =$1.57
    Carbon tax =$2.01
    Clean energy levy =$0.18
    GST =$2.36
    HST 5% =$0.34
    HST 12% =$0.03

Total =$57.17

That's just for a paltry 2.4 Giga Joules. I have noticed that in Canada, shopping on line a possible trend toward "FREE Shipping". Now that should help drum up business!
    Yup, I have a very similar gas bill!
    Those terason gas people should be shot.
    They seem to have the monopoly on natural gas, so they just keep inventing new fees to tack on, even if were not using any gas!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Devilbear Guest

Re: Canadian customer = Licence to ripoff

I have found the same thing with Kifaru as opposed to Mystery Ranch. Kifaru will charge your credit card IMMEDIATELY upon receiving your order and THEN will ship whenever they get your product made, in a couple of cases, they had my funds for 3-4 months before I received product that they told me on the phone was "in stock".

Mystery Ranch NEVER has charged me UNTIL they have shipped and what few issues of fit, etc. I have had with them were dealt with far more quickly and politely than was the case with Kifaru. I have spent serious coin with both of these firms and they both make products I use and consider very good.....but, Kifaru could definitely improve certain aspects of their service...and the tipi prices are just incredible...my 8-man fully equipped and with a longer stovepipe, large stove and a couple of larger stuff sacks was around 2K CDN.......a bit much, IMO.

Kifaru's mailing costs to us here in BC are FAR more than MR's, no idea why, but, my experience is that MR gives the finest gear at the most reasonable prices and best service of ANY gear maker I have ever purchased from.

I have never met any of MR's crew, been to Bozeman or even in Montana for some 43+ years, but, they treat me like an old friend every time I call to order or just ask about a product....and nobody makes a better pack, nobody. I wish that we had gear makers like them in Canada, but, I seriously doubt we ever will.

I just received my Kifaru Gunbearer i had it shipped to ship happens in Sumas i believe it came to 10 bucks that includes the Ship happens fee which is 5 bucks per package. no duty I got my Gunbearer a week earlier than they first estimated and i sure like how the product works.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    And if that doesn't toast your bread, then how about this:

Cost of natural gas burnt in July 2010 =$1.49
    Delivery charge =$31.86 Commodity charge =$17.33 Franchise fee =$1.57
    Carbon tax =$2.01
    Clean energy levy =$0.18
    GST =$2.36
    HST 5% =$0.34
    HST 12% =$0.03

Total =$57.17

That's just for a paltry 2.4 Giga Joules. I have noticed that in Canada, shopping on line a possible trend toward "FREE Shipping". Now that should help drum up business!
    THAT should be illegal!!!!!

Devilbear,

I agree 100% on your assessment of MR. They are a great outfit and a pleasure to deal with in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I just received my Kifaru Gunbearer i had it shipped to ship happens in Sumas i believe it came to 10 bucks that includes the Ship happens fee which is 5 bucks per package. no duty I got my Gunbearer a week earlier than they first estimated and i sure like how the product works.

Do you have to pay a monthly fee for this service?

I wont buy unless they agree to ship DHL (cheapest) or USPS.
    UPS are a bunch of crooks.

Ship Happens doesn't require a monthly fee. You don't even need to contact them prior to having something shipped to them. You simply put their adress as the shipping address (be sure you put your name as the receiver, not theirs). They charge $5 for all packages, and $20 if it's freight. They describe freight as anything that comes on a pallet. I use them all the time because manyp companies ship for free if it's within the 48 states.

And then they ship it to you or do you have to go get it ?

You just go pick it up, 30 secconds south of the Sumas border crossing. Great little buisness IMO. Especialy with all the "free shipping' offers in the USA.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow