Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practicing in your back yard

Re: Practicing in your back yard

We have a barn over flowing with hay, we were planning on making a huge hay stack to shoot towards, with big round bales as well as the smaller square bales. So will have a huge back drop.

I think we have a good place for it and we will be "legal"

We have 3 young kids (oldest being 4) so heading out to a range is not very easy.

Bow Walker Guest

I missed my backstop on one particular occasion and the arrow went through the 15 fooot high x 6 foot deep Yew hedge and landed in the neighbor's backyard.

He presented the arrow to the local police saying he was concerned that "someone was trying to intimidate him".

The police (being very bright) figured out that the arrow could only have come from one direction and knocked on my door the next day.

After a quiet chat with the officer I was given the arrow with the suggestion that I be "more careful" and that I might want to "shoot at the local school yard on the weekends when school was out - there's lots of room there".

Point being that if you are being very careful I seriously doubt that anyone will have a problem. Just don't shoot anywhere near the direction that your neighbor is in.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 07-26-2010 at 07:54 PM.

It's legal in Delta but not Surrey. I don't know where you live but even at my buddies place in delta with lots of room and a BIG dirt cliff behind the target the rcmp still show up once and awhile to make sure everything is safe. (I think someone complains!!)
    Are we having fun yet?

We have a HUGE pile of round bales (for feeding our cows and horses) so we are going to stack them up and make a back drop, then use a few of the little square bales of hay for putting targets on. But before we take the first shot, I am going to be giving the police a call just to make sure we are good to go!

We are in Duncan, on Vancouver Island

I hope you can shoot at home, kids love it. Though I would recommend getting the kids some professional lessons as well. A good teacher will know how to explain proper stance and help to avoid mistakes we all make. Most archery clubs have good programs for kids and at reasonable prices (at least I know they do here in Quebec).

This is my youngest with his Browning re-curve in our yard. I buy him cheap fiberglass arrows for practice as they tend to disappear in the hay fields once in a while. For the moment he's shooting instictively and by next year I will be adding sights into the equation.
    He loves to just walk into the yard to shoot.

Last edited by oopswasthatyourdog?; 08-24-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

Bow Walker Guest

Welcome to the site, OOPS.

Looks like you've got lottsa of room ofr practice. I bet those two trees are taking a lickin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Welcome to the site, OOPS.

Looks like you've got lottsa of room ofr practice. I bet those two trees are taking a lickin'!

Thanks for the welcome! Yes I do have plenty of yard to play in. The trees are faring well......I started him with a big pouch made from jute (about 4' x 4') stuffed with all the plastic wrap I could find. I even had a blue winterizing tarp for a boat in that thing. Now I just use two feed bags stuffed with plastic garbage bags to stop the arrows. Cheap and effictive!
    Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

I just assumed I was allowed to shoot in my yard. The neighbors didn't phone the cops when I was shooting off the roof of my shed to practice at different angles and 40 yards.

Bow Walker Guest

That type of target bag is what I've been using for years. Mine are made using coffee sacks that a guy can get from any coffee roaster. The sacks aren't re-usable to them and they are usually glad to get rid of them.

Those targets will stop arrows (with field tips - not broadheads) that are going in excess of 300 f.p.s. Really good targets and cheap too. A good way to recycle all those plastic grocery store bags.

On another note - I can relate to your user name. We just got a puppy (5 months old) and she has THE worst farts that I've had the misfortune to be in the same room with. Our other dog doesn't seem to have gas, but this latest one actually farts like a man! Whewwee, they smell. I'm going to change her feed a.s.a.p.