Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing and Tail Survey 2010

Wing and Tail Survey 2010

I recieved a letter from Environment Canada asking me to partake in this survey. They ask you to send a wing from each duck and primary plus tail feathers for geese. I sent the postcard back saying I will participate, but am curious how many hunters are canvassed each year????

So anybody else get asked and if so are you going to do it????

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wing and Tail Survey 2010

Are you getting paid?? Do they cover the postage??

Never heard of this before......sounds curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Are you getting paid?? Do they cover the postage??

Never heard of this before......sounds curious.....
    The letter stated and I quote "Survey material will include postage-paid envelopes designed specifically for the survey, as well as detailed instructions"

This link kind of explains it, but it also refers to the harvest surveys
    http://www.ec.gc.ca/reom-mbs/default...=en&n=CFB6F561

Last edited by 303Brit; 07-09-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Ah I think I've done it for two seasons a few years ago. They sent like 10 packages first. Well that 10 got filled pretty fast, so I asked for more. And so they sent a TON more letters about a week to go till the end of season.

You do get some info back after the season after they've been processed. I think just species and age(juvie/adult) if you didnt already know. I guess with geese it'll provide more insight.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 07-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Cool thanks CF, that was my only thought was if they would provide feedback direct to me or not.

I've had wing & tail surveys about 3 or 4 times in my hunting years, but none in the last 5 or so. I always liked to do them, I figger it helps everyone, and it's good to to know someone out there is working on bird populations.
    Use Enough Dog !!

I havn't got a survey request in the last two years but I have done it a number of seasons. Just send in the envelopes and ask for more, I got mine pretty quick. In the spring you'll get a reply telling the number of mature birds and juvenilles and sex, spiecies which of course you already know. I think it's worth doing to keep proper management of the seasons and limits.

DO IT!
    I've done this many seasons and it helps them understand the age/ species of duck in your area.
    Plus you get lots of info about the ones you shot.
    Intertesting stuff!!
    DO IT!

I've been on both sides of the survey, doing it as a hunter, and assessing the wings at annual wing bee. One year, when I lived back east I saw how important it was/is. I used to shoot a eiders and sea ducks a lot and at one wing bee some grad students from Newfoundland were using the eider wings for DNA work and the grand total submitting for the whole year was 24! Wasn't long till I was back on the survey and increased their sample set rather dramatically!

Here's waterfowl population basic's. Each year a number of surveys are completed, let start on the wintering grounds, that survey tells them how many birds made it through the season, this is at species level only. Next we have the pond count in the prairies that tells them how much habitat is available. Remember 70% of the ducks in NA come from the prairies. Then they do various breeding ground surveys seeing what returned, success etc. The wing survey tells them what hunters actually take. Each wing gets aged and sexed and all of this goes to figure out our seasons, our bag, and what direction the population is going in.

As an FYI immature hens tend to be the most common in hunters bags in Canada and many studies have shown that immatures and females are more susceptible to the gun. This is why in the US at times they have sex based limits. Why not up here? reality is that Canadians take so few birds compared the states that the impact doesn't really matter. Keep in mind there are 350 million yanks, and 30ish of us and the percentage of hunters in the US is much greater then here. It is said that they kill more ducks on opening day in California then all of Canada does all season.

So in a nutshell, completing the survey is important, it matters and it helps the managers know what is being taken from the population.

done it a couple times now last year was a wash i sent the first batch in and my request for more envelopes and never recieved anything till i just recently got my season results and request to participate again this year.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER