Thread: Cramming for challenging the core?

Cramming for challenging the core?

Challenging the core tomorrow, the book is a really dry read, however I've been passing all the tests at ihea.com,

Is there anything specifically I should focus on while studying tonight? A lot of this seems like common sense, however certain stuff seems B.C specific.. Any suggestions?

(I realize the value of the core course, however I will be hunting with experienced people and learning much before I actually set out in the woods)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cramming for challenging the core?

Are you taking the firearms portion as well? If so, it wouldn't hurt to do a little practice if you have that ability.

My son took the challenge when he was 13 and passed no problem (and he's no academic!!!). It's based on a percentage. You'll be fine.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!!

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst

thanks for the vote of confidence Not doing the firearms, so hopefully its easy

Quote Originally Posted by czechsanchez View Post
    thanks for the vote of confidence Not doing the firearms, so hopefully its easy
    learn the ducks and birds ...firearm safety and ethics are a big part..

70 % and you pass. However as a CORE instructor I leave you with one piece of advice from teaching hundreds of new students................ what you will learn from "experienced hunters" needs to be evaluated sometimes as you will learn good things from those who teach you but every hunter usually carries some advice that is not intentially passed on as wrong or misleading but in fact it may be. Use your common sense, the regulations and talk to other hunters (like HBC) to find out whats what!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

As a fellow CORE instructor/examiner tomahawk hit the nail right on the head. Jeff has an excellent point as well.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

cramming for the "core" test almost seems like an oxymoron. Its the easiest test in the world and will require zero study time to pass from anyone with any experience in the outdoors at all and a little bit of common sense.
    Should it be this easy? No, I dont think it should be.
    I think that if this is the test that the govt. thinks is proper, then I think that a guy should have to get at least 90% to pass. Knowing 2/3 of the safety rules of firearms and hunting is not acceptable in my world for a pass.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

I'm also cramming for the CORE, but I'm also cramming for the PAL, as I live in an area and do a job that makes it very difficult to get to where these courses are offered in this region. Is there anything I should know before I head off to write? What are the most common obstacles?
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Gumsehwah View Post
    I'm also cramming for the CORE, but I'm also cramming for the PAL, as I live in an area and do a job that makes it very difficult to get to where these courses are offered in this region. Is there anything I should know before I head off to write? What are the most common obstacles?
    Watch the videos in this thread http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ctional-Videos

In the practical part of the test, its good to be able to smoothly prove the firearm, watching how its done will make you more comfortable, remember that during the practical you can ask the instructor questions.
    Last edited by czechsanchez; 05-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.

I took my CORE exam last fall after studying for a week tool some notes and did the questions at the end of the chapters and I ended up with 98%. Like everyone has been saying just use your common sense and read questions carefully they word some of them weird. But you will do fine make sure you know firearm safety aswell lot of questions on guns.