Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: advice on arrows

Re: advice on arrows

we have donocono for buttes at our range. If you compress then to much they are hard to pull . If arrows are hard to pull back off on the pressure you on it. Some arrows i have found just stick to that stuff PSE seam to be the worst.

Yup, donaconna (of course I never thought I'd have to spell it) is real tough to pull an arrow out of. I'm sure aluminums will bend pulling them out.

I have used WD40 on the aluminum arrows when I'm shooting and it does help.

Awishanew is bang on though. I shoot into a carpet bag full of shrink wrap and it is absolutely the best. Much easier for wood arrows.

JT

I spray all my arrows with a thin layer of gun oil, WD40 works too, from the point end up to about a 1/4 of the arrow length. This makes pulling them out of the target very easy.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

The 'Hummer' Guest

With my first compound, a Darton Maverick, I used 2413, XX75 & XX78's. I did bend a few, but I could straighten them. What I do like with aluminium, is how much quieter they seem to be. B...U...T, with my Hoyt's, I have gone to carbon, Comp Pro 300's. Aluminium will mark up & bend, carbons will mark/score, break or shatter. When you hit 'rocks' or target frames, both could sustain damage. I believe one to be as good as the other, a matter of choice for the most part & I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

As the groups start to 'tighten' to help minimize damage to your arrows, especially at closer ranges, shoot one arrow / target or point of aim.

At our indoor range the butt is made up of stacked & compressed telephone books. Outdoors, with a roof cover, sheets of Donacona are cut into strips, about 16" x 48" (I think those are the dimensions), stacked & compressed. If arrows are difficult to extract, it's usually a sign too much preasure is being used to compress. Also, there is a tendency for a residue, to stick to arrows but a soap bar seems to help me there. Another guy I know uses a cloth with Pam or a veggie cooking oil to wipe his arrows with & he says that helps. Haven't tried that myself.

At home for a butt or target bag, I've made one out of a bag I was able to get of a material similar to those commercially available. It is about 3' x 5', I've crammed & stuffed as much sheet plastic and used shrink wrap into it as I could into it. It has stood up well after a lot of shooting over the last 3 + years. Another added benefit is it also stands up well to the weather unprotected.

Hey Gang , there is at least two types of donn-conna board . One of the types is rather dark in color and is a bitch to pull arrows out . The lighter coloured stuff fits the bill perfectly.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

if you all go back and read what my original question was its not about what i shot my arrows into its about what arrows are the best and which ones are the most durable? my arrows donot get bent from pullin them out of the target i shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by endtimerwithabow
    if you all go back and read what my original question was its not about what i shot my arrows into its about what arrows are the best and which ones are the most durable? my arrows donot get bent from pullin them out of the target i shot at.
    As has been said here a few times. Both carbon and aluminum have advantages and disatvantages. In the end they are essentially the same and the rest is personal preference.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Graphites are a bugger to pull out of donn-conna even lubed up.

I've been shooting 3-D now for 10 years. Like most of us shooting back then I was using aluminum arrows. I would go to a shoot with a dozen arrows and be lucky to come home with 4 useable ones. I found that they bent way too easily and they never would really straighten out good enough to be used for anything other than a grouse arrow. I kept on using them because of the cost difference between the aluminum and the carbons.

I finally broke down and bought 1/2 dozen carbons and low and behold I was coming home with all my arrows. The increase in speed improved my shooting considerably, a gain of at least 25 fsp a the same draw weight. I personally find the carbons to so much more durable. I only use Goldtips as they seem to be almost indestructable. And now you can buy a dozen carbon shafts for virtually the same price as aluminum.

It doesn't matter what you are shooting, if you miss and hit something solid you will ruin an arrow. I have killed 3 deer with the Goldtip 5575's with 100 gr broadheads. More that sufficient kinetic enery and as we all know, shot placement over energy is what really matters when bow hunting. I am more interested in building my KE through speed as opposed to weight. The more speed, the flatter the trajectory and in my opinion the better the accuracy.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

I shoot traditional and i use carbons, I have had way better luck with carbons than all the other arrows, Aluminum I find bend and you can never get them straight again, The carbons take a real beating, They can break as well but I have had way better luck with them and not much tuning is needed. You can buy weight tubes for carbons if your worried about them being to light. Spend the money on carbons you won't be let down.

FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA