Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: advice on arrows

Re: advice on arrows

they break when I miss a rabbit or a grouse they hit branches and rocks . I have broken about 2 and bent about 4. And yes I do pull them staight out when extracting from target. I am tryn out a mechcanical release so I dropped from 63-65 lbs to about 45-50 to train myself when I get better I will increase the lbs to what I feel comfortable with I would like to do some 3d shootn. I am moving to Lumby in 2 wks is there a place to do some shootn around the area? Do the carbons come in heavy weights? The ones that I have held seem alittle lite.

Bow Walker Guest

I second sealevel's recommendation of National Archery Supply. They are more widely known as Heartland Archery. I have found Canadian Camo to be very slow in shipping. Very Slow. That being said, if you have the time to wait, then go for it. They often have competitive prices.

Quote Originally Posted by endtimerwithabow
    I am new to bowhunting and last year was my first year. I have a pse II 60-70 lbs older but a nice bow shot 5-6 times before I got my hands on it my arrows are aluminum the heavest ones I can shoot with this bow they are easton 2315 lite XX75 camo hunter. I find they break and get bent ( I do need more practise) easily, are the carbon arrows harder to damage and do they come as heavy as the ones I'm currently using?

I havent harveted any large game yet but this year I want a early season Elk and a Whitetail. My son and I are shotn just about every day my grouping is about 7-8" and gettn smaller. I apprecite any and all adivce.

Thnx Doug
    I have to question also what you are shooting your aluminum arrows into. A large burlap sack filled with shopping bags will cause minimul damage to your arrows. If you find you are getting tight groups and banging arrows together then this can beat them up too. If you miss the target well that's another story.
    The claim to fame of the graphite arrow is that it is either straight or broken. If you miss the target with a graphinte it will beat them up just the same only you won't be able to straighten them. As mentioned before, if a graghite gets a nick in it the arrow should be discarded as another claim to fame of the graphite is they can shatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby

Hunt writer, are you serious? cause I've gotta call bs. I've shot for close to 20 years, and toasted more arrows than I care to count. I don't think its possible to shoot much, other that target and not break arrows.

Kirby
    Maby I just was lucky, but I don't think so. In all my years shooting my bow every day, untill three weeks ago when I fractured my shoulder, I never have broken an arrow. Not even once. Now bending arrows, that is another story, there are a few that went into a tree and bent. But I can streighten them out again. Whereas a carbon breaks and is toast. Once I had an arrow hit a rock and the field point got pushed into the arrow. I cut a 1/2 inch off put a new insert in and I still kill deer with that arrow today.

I am not against carbon arrows, not in the least bit. I just have never seen a reason why I should buy any when what I use works fine for me. Now if someone would give carbon arrows to me I would use then without hessitation.

From what I have seen with carbon arrows and the experience I made and have seen by others. I am left with the opinion that there really is not much difference between the two arrow styles. In my opinion they are equal.

Now the first carbon arrows that came out where an absolute mess. I use to refuse to guide deer hunters who used them because we had so many bad experiences with carbons. But since them days they sure have come a long way, very few complaints about them now.

I guess you could say I am just not a gadget guy, as long as I get the results I expect of a product and it fulfills my needs I see no reason th change. But as I said before that don't mean I would not endorse it for others.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    I have found Canadian Camo to be very slow in shipping. Very Slow.
    A bit like their hunting forum then, a visitor per month and one to two posts per year.

I often wodered about Canadian Camo, but I will give them a miss, as you must be now 10th person I hear that is not happy with them.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

my target is compressed anaconda board its fairly solid.

Bow Walker Guest

Anaconda board?? Is that like a ton of snakes compressed into itty bitty sizes??

Quote Originally Posted by endtimerwithabow
    my target is compressed anaconda board its fairly solid.
    What ever that is. Forgive my ignoraance but I too thought it was compressed snakes.

If that board is a type of wood, or like dry wall or such thing and compressed, then it might very well be way to hard for any arrows. Arrows are designed to go trough flesh and bone not concrete.

snakes thats funny . its like t-bar ceiling tiles only alot more solid. It works great.

He's right guys it makes good target material they use it at the indoor range beside boormans.