Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice on arrows

Cool advice on arrows

I am new to bowhunting and last year was my first year. I have a pse II 60-70 lbs older but a nice bow shot 5-6 times before I got my hands on it my arrows are aluminum the heavest ones I can shoot with this bow they are easton 2315 lite XX75 camo hunter. I find they break and get bent ( I do need more practise) easily, are the carbon arrows harder to damage and do they come as heavy as the ones I'm currently using?

I havent harveted any large game yet but this year I want a early season Elk and a Whitetail. My son and I are shotn just about every day my grouping is about 7-8" and gettn smaller. I apprecite any and all adivce.

Thnx Doug

2. Site Sponsor

Re: advice on arrows

Im new to bow hunting to, so Im curious to what other people say on here! I like my carbon arrows, but they break pretty easy when u hit rocks with them!!

Carbons are much stronger than Aluminum. The only thing to watch is if you hit a rock, etc, Carbons can fracture, but not visibly show the damage. So you just Take it, bend it, and listen to it. I use to shoot Aluminums, and now shoot nothing but carbons(Gold tip 5575 Hunters) and love them.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

I am new to bow hunting as well. This year will be my first hunt for deer with it. I have an older bow - Martin 2500 , Bangel. My draw is 26" with 63lbs. My arrows are Easton 2114 Superlite XX75 Camo Hunter. My grooping is about 6"-8" and getting better. Every bow guy who sees me shoot always tells me to get carbon arrows.
    I would also like to know the difference and are the carbons going to make shoot better aside from skill.?
    Work little,,,Play lots!!!

What do you do with them arrows? Do you shoot them into a brick wall? Or do you bend them back and forth when you pull them out of the target? I use nothing but aluminums, even the camo hunters, but have yet to breake one in over 15 years of slinging arrows and hunting. And as anyone, knowing me, will tell you I am not busy footing around with my gear.
    Just curious.

Carbon arrows are good but they have their weakness too. If all else is said and done both are about equal, other than the price.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-12-2006 at 06:05 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I'm new to bowhunting aswell so i wont offer any advice but i use aluminum arrows and the only problem i've had with them so far is i clashed 2 of them together last week and put small dents in each one.I have also been told to try carbon arrows and i will because the advice came from people with way more experience then me and that is the only way to learn.

Kirby I am having trouble getting gold tips in kelowna are there any in kamloops . And they do make carbons stronger than alum as Kirby said . There is a fine line between a heavy arrow and a lighter arrow with more energy . I shoot gold tip xt 55-75 at 66 lbs I have been able to harvest white tail & mule deer ,bear , bear , & a moose .They work great . I have been shooting the same 12 arrows (down to 6 ) for the last 5 years hunting & 3d . I know there are alot of good carbon arrows I have just found gold tips work for me
    calvin L
    Last edited by calvin L; 04-12-2006 at 05:19 PM.

Calvin, nobody around here that I would go to. I tend to go to the coast or caribou, Boormans, Hub sports, Specialty shooting sports, are all good dealers. Or I go to http://www.canadiancamo.com/

As for the weight = Kinetic energy, really its not true. If you pick up 3 grs of weight you loose 1 fps, use this and do the math. http://www.bowhuntinginfo.com/KineticEnergyNew.htm

380gr arrow @ 280 fps = 66.17
    increase the weight by 60 gr, you loose 20 fps with the same set up.
    440 arrow @ 260 fps = 66.06

IF you up your arrow weight, and your draw weight then you increse KE
    440 @ 280 = 76.62

As to cost:
    Easton XX75 2413(what I use to shoot) = 80.00(alum)
    Gold tip 5575 Expedition hunter = 69.00(carbon)
    Gold tip 5575 XE hunter(What I shoot) = 89.00(carbon)
    The cost of carbons is close to the cost of aluminums, and they are stronger.

Hunt writer, are you serious? cause I've gotta call bs. I've shot for close to 20 years, and toasted more arrows than I care to count. I don't think its possible to shoot much, other that target and not break arrows.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Bow Walker Guest

For those looking for a heavier hunting arrow......
    You should seriously consider the Gold Tip 7595. If you are shooting 50 lbs or greater these arrows will provide you with the needed KE to hunt anything that walks or crawls in Canada (or the usa).

7595's coupled with a 125 grain broadhead is a lethal combination.

http://www.nationalarcherysupply.com/ is where i get my gold tips. I have had good luck buying from them.