Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Deer "Jumping the String"

Re: Deer "Jumping the String"

X2! Absolutelythe right answer IMHO.

I've shot 8 deer with a bow and arrow my buddy has shot several as well both of us have had deer jump the string.

The funniest was when my buddy had a nicest 4 point buck we had ever seen on Bowen Island only 30 yards in front of him standing perfectly broad side to us.

He aimed for the lungs when he released the deer jumped straight up resulting in the arrow going under it if it hadn't have moved it would have been one of the nicest shots I had ever seen.

The deer landed and just stood there looking at us buddy had time to knotch another arrow and aimed in exactly the same spot when he released the arrow the deer jumped straight up again with exactly the same results.

Deer landed and just stood there again this time my buddy decided to hold high so when the deer jumped it would go straight up into the arrow.

Buck took off straight ahead and was gone...

His bow had a 60lbs draw weight can't remember what size of arrows he was shooting.

I shoot an 80lbs bow with full length 2219 arrows here is one lucky story that happened to me...

I had a very nice 2 point mule deer buck standing broad side to me @ 20 yards I released the deer had time to spin from broadside to it's ass facing me the arrow buried itself almost to the fletching missing the ass hole by about 2" to the right.

Deer walked maybe 5 yards and dropped.

My .308 180 grain arrives before the sound of anything except birds singing. The deer never hear a thing. The sound of my shot arrives after I've taken pics of the deer.(LOL) Just another problem for bowhunters to wrestle with. Don't compound bows have awesome velocity? Who would have thought the arrows arrived after the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by 308Lover View Post
    My .308 180 grain arrives before the sound of anything except birds singing. The deer never hear a thing. The sound of my shot arrives after I've taken pics of the deer.(LOL) Just another problem for bowhunters to wrestle with. Don't compound bows have awesome velocity? Who would have thought the arrows arrived after the sound?

300 to 320 fps is alot less than 2700 or 2800 fps from a rifle.......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

How about 180 fps
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    How about 180 fps
    Cheers

i was going to edit for traditionalists, (as i shoot one off and on myself), but you beat me to it...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

kirby is bang on. I work in animation, we look at a lot of slow motion movement patterns of all sorts of animals doing all sorts of things over and over and over again. One of the "rules" of animation you must anticipate your action. All living things do it that I know of. Even if it is split second, it is done. The video posted by huntwriter is a classic example of a deer loading to exploding forward.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjD3WHofbsw

The video posted by slinky also shows the same thing, watch the tail. As the deer goes to jump over the fence its ass end drops slightly to load the hind legs. The loading is small because the jump is relatively effortless compared to the deer running for its life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjD3WHofbsw

And to clear up a few more things deer have toes, they walk on them. Their legs aren't "pre-bent" in the sense that they can muscularly defy physics. Their legs are just in a shape that is ideal for running and generating amazing amounts of force quickly. But their leg configuration doesn't mean they walk around with the equivalent of bent legs all the time (or to say that their glutes quads and calf muscles are always loaded and ready to bolt). They are in a much better position to do this than we are, but the legs use of muscular tension is not much different than ours if we were to walk on the balls of our feet.

greybark,

nice animals!

thanks for referring me to this thread

never quite understood at the time how I could miss my only opportunity so far /w a bow - a spike muley that had eyes & ears on me

I missed point blank inside of 25yrds /w my bow on flat terrain - the shot went just over its shoulder

I felt the shot was good as practised the shot many times

I've had blacktails, whitetails and mule deer jump the string. Only one mule deer escaped the arrow, and its more befause he went "matrix" n me than from dropping down.

yep, deer can do some crazy, unpredictable stuff. The best thing you can do is get try to get your shot away without them knowing your there and in my opinion, aim where you want the arrow to go and not hold hi because your last deer jumped. No one can predict what the deer will do when the arrow is released, but in most cases, you make out just fine if they are oblivious to your presence.