7A deer regulations

I see they changed the mule deer season in parts of 7A for 2010/11

4pt Sept10-30
    any buck Oct1-19
    4pt Oct20-Nov15

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...s/region7a.pdf

Regional bag limit mule deer 1. Antlerless only for youth

thoughts?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: 7A deer regulations

Well that sucks donkey weiners!! I like to shoot an early buck for the freezer!! I will swing into 7-10 and 7-11 then!! No problem!! My son is looking for an antlerless this year to smack with the 270win and the newly developed 140 accubonds!! I will take the big mulie I have been looking at for the last 2 yrs in 7-12!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Cutting the season short in some of the MU's...that's pretty lame. Luckily for me, the reduction isn't in any of the units I plan to hunt for mulies.

That's your area isn't it? That'ts too bad.

never mind!

theres still no bag limit on ground squirels!

i think it makes it more confusing then necessary. 7-12 is so close to zones like 7-10, 7-15, but now with different regs. i think it will be hard to enforce the eastern boundaries, although, near the hoof it will be okay.

I disagree with the changes. Its a knee jerk reaction to the couple bad winters. There are only a few areas of prime mule deer habitat while the rest is fringe habitat at best and deer will experience cyclic knock backs everytime there's a bad winter with the exception of those utilizing the pocket habitat.

Even with the new reg changes, if you get a bad winter its not going to save the deer. Some certain folks need to realize that and when the deer numbers are strong from good winters, take that opportunity to hunt and harvest those deer because the next year, they could be gone again.

Knowing mule deer and mule deer habitat, I don't buy the "recovery" arguement for those MU's. Mule deer will rebound under the previous regulations....and likely to numbers that are artificially high for the habitat to support them and should another bad winter hit.....they're going to have the cyclic reduction in numbers anyways....there was / is no need to change the regs.
    Last edited by BCrams; 06-29-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    I disagree with the changes. Its a knee jerk reaction to the couple bad winters. There are only a few areas of prime mule deer habitat while the rest is fringe habitat at best and deer will experience cyclic knock backs everytime there's a bad winter with the exception of those utilizing the pocket habitat.

Even with the new reg changes, if you get a bad winter its not going to save the deer. Some certain folks need to realize that and when the deer numbers are strong from good winters, take that opportunity to hunt and harvest those deer because the next year, they could be gone again.

Knowing mule deer and mule deer habitat, I don't buy the "recovery" arguement for those MU's. Mule deer will rebound under the previous regulations....and likely to numbers that are artificially high for the habitat to support them and should another bad winter hit.....they're going to have the cyclic reduction in numbers anyways....there was / is no need to change the regs.
    I agree Greg

The areas I hunted never had great numbers of mule deer. A good season was 20 deer seen, but of those, 5-7 would be bucks and at least one was a good one. It kept you interested, especially in Nov. It a great example of fringe habitat, some good pockets of habitat, surrounded by good moose habitat.

The population would fluctuate from season to season, cold, long winters would affect the deer more than a shorter, but heavier snow fall one would, but the next couple years after, the deer would be back. And because it was a small population, you did notice the number increase and decease.

I find it kind of strange that some of the MU's, where the population is small and just hangs on, there is no change, but other areas, where there is a good population, they are reducing the season.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post

You know that, the managers know that so................................
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

should it be expected that in a few years the average buck to be a bit larger?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004