Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow for the wife

Cool Bow for the wife

Well, after a few months of serious bow shooting my lady is jealous of my muscular back

To tell the truth she works a desk job and suffers the usual back weakness problems associated with it - both of us think that taking up the bow would really help her back, and it sure is a fun way to get in a lot of shoulder/upper back work compared to the gym (won't catch me in the gym, ever! but shoot 200 arrows? no problem except that I have to wake up with a sore arm )

Anyways she has never really shot before except a couple times at the college archery club. I don't think she has any real interest in hunting, just target really. And she's just a little girl (5'3" 100lbs) and as I mentioned not big on the upper body strength. She can't even start to draw my 60lb bow.

So what should I get her started with? Youth bows seem pretty weak on the draw (10-20lbs)? I'm thinking recurve, unless there's someone on HBC trying to get rid of a 25" compound that draws a proper weight - 30lbs at least I would think?

I actually think that Diamond Razor Edge I was thinking of originally would work good for her, but it's a bit expensive for someone who isn't planning on hunting and may not even be that interested in the sport.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow for the wife

The razor edge would be an awesome bow .... and heres why .... Color means nothing to someone starting ... get a camo one ..let her try the game ... if she likes it ... you can get it powdercoated or water dipped custom that she would like fairly cheaply ....
    2nd reason .... the edge has a huge draw lenth adjustment and weight range ... if she dont like archery ... you can sell it pretty easily
    3rd reason .... there is no reason why a razor edge cant compete with the "big boys" ..as its a big boy bow scaled down to fit the smaller structured person

if you look around in the right places you can find anything in any color and scheme that you could possibly think of
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow for wife, good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ramcam View Post
    Bow for wife, good trade.
    Ha ha hahahhha ha I wish I would have thought of that. I would have saved a ton of money.....

Bow Walker Guest

I 2nd what BZM has said. The Razor Edge is NOT a kiddie bow. It's specifically engineered for smaller people and/or for people with shorter draw lengths.

There are two huge upsides to the Razor for your wife.

One is the wide range of adjust ability built into the bow.

The second is the re-saleability of the bow if you decide to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I 2nd what BZM has said. The Razor Edge is NOT a kiddie bow. It's specifically engineered for smaller people and/or for people with shorter draw lengths.

There are two huge upsides to the Razor for your wife.

One is the wide range of adjust ability built into the bow.

The second is the re-saleability of the bow if you decide to get rid of it.
    My wifes been shooting one for the passed year , she loves it and as BZM said the adjustabilty in weight and draw is great. My oldest daughter is shooting a fuse now and will one day shoot her moms razor when mom steps up into a 40-50 #DXT or something similar. The Diamond Razor is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rectifier View Post
    Well, after a few months of serious bow shooting my lady is jealous of my muscular back

To tell the truth she works a desk job and suffers the usual back weakness problems associated with it - both of us think that taking up the bow would really help her back, and it sure is a fun way to get in a lot of shoulder/upper back work compared to the gym (won't catch me in the gym, ever! but shoot 200 arrows? no problem except that I have to wake up with a sore arm )

Anyways she has never really shot before except a couple times at the college archery club. I don't think she has any real interest in hunting, just target really. And she's just a little girl (5'3" 100lbs) and as I mentioned not big on the upper body strength. She can't even start to draw my 60lb bow.

So what should I get her started with? Youth bows seem pretty weak on the draw (10-20lbs)? I'm thinking recurve, unless there's someone on HBC trying to get rid of a 25" compound that draws a proper weight - 30lbs at least I would think?

I actually think that Diamond Razor Edge I was thinking of originally would work good for her, but it's a bit expensive for someone who isn't planning on hunting and may not even be that interested in the sport.
    Does she shoot lefty or righty?

You might want to check for her dominant eye before you decide. Lots of women seem to be right handed and left eye dominant. My wife is.

Anyhoo, I have a LH Browning recurve, 25lbs, that I'd be willing to part with (wife doesn't use it) if it so happens thats what you need.

Cheers
    4Ster
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

My wife and youngest son (13) did a archery course at Boormans archery http://www.boormanarchery.com/ in New West earlier this year, it was really good as they got the chance to shoot trads and compounds - they had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of different draw weights and get their draw-length sorted.

The Best bit was they came out of the course able to shoot a group at 20 yards.
    Last edited by Kudu; 06-08-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Well a buddy of mine turns out to have an old recurve and a couple arrows he's willing to donate to the cause, if she turns out to enjoy the sport I think the Boorman course would be a good idea since she is a total beginner. Don't need her picking up all my bad habits

After that I'll probably buy her a Razor with all these posts in agreement here.

That's a lot of thinking ahead, I guess I really want her to take a liking to archery and end up out there hunting with me some day

Well a buddy of mine turns out to have an old recurve and a couple arrows he's willing to donate to the cause, if she turns out to enjoy the sport I think the Boorman course would be a good idea since she is a total beginner. Don't need her picking up all my bad habits

After that I'll probably buy her a Razor with all these posts in agreement here.

That's a lot of thinking ahead, I guess I really want her to take a liking to archery and end up out there hunting with me some day
    Good luck mate, I have both my sons into hunting and archery now, the Mrs enjoys the bow - target shooting stuff, and normally goes out hunting /shooting with us.

For our family it is about the outdoors - fishing, hunting, paragliding, hiking, camping - boating anything to get into the open air
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)