Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mechanical release?

mechanical release?

Okay, I've had a recurve for years, was out shooting it the other day and decided it was time to move to a compound... it got me thinking-i've always used my 3 fingers to release the string-can you do the same with a compound bow?
    everyone seems to use a mechanical release-which just seems like it would waste time in a hunting scenario. anyone not use one? or is it just not advisable?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: mechanical release?

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    Okay, I've had a recurve for years, was out shooting it the other day and decided it was time to move to a compound... it got me thinking-i've always used my 3 fingers to release the string-can you do the same with a compound bow?
    everyone seems to use a mechanical release-which just seems like it would waste time in a hunting scenario. anyone not use one? or is it just not advisable?

most definately can be done! just have to use a flipper rest instead of a prong style or containment rest. i know lots of people who shoot fingers with a compound.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

I've been shooting compound with fingers for yrs.Finally going mechanical release.I use a whisker biscuit rest works great.When it comes to snap shooting fingers are quicker for sure.Hope I like the mechanical release if not will switch back to the digits.
    Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter...

make sure the compound is long enough(axle to axle) if you wish to shoot with fingers.

Bow Walker Guest

As jessebennett says - use a flipper style arrow rest if you decide to shoot with fingers. Whisker Biscuits are not designed for finger shooters. I'm not saying that they don't work - just saying that they work a lot better when used with a release instead of fingers.

Flipper style? is that the fall away type rest? and what do you mean by long enough axle to axle? I've been looking at bows that are mainly in the 29" to 33" length-is that too short?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Bow Walker Guest

Bows with less than at least a 34" A2A length will cause what's called finger pinch, at the nock, when you're at (or coming to) full draw.

These shorter axle bows have an acute string angle at the nock point, and so there is little room for your fingers.

you want a min of 36" preferably longer for finger shooting unless you have a very short draw length. other wise you will get too much finger pinch.

Bow Walker Guest

a Flipper-style rest is designed to handle the lateral forces (fishtailing) of the arrow when it is released. Dropaway, Lizard Tongue, and Prong type rests are designed to handle the vertical forces (porpoising) of the arrow when it is released.

Google "archers paradox" and go exploring.

My question is, Why not just use a release? You will shoot better.