Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Pack tent weight

Back Pack tent weight

Just wanted to know what the average weight for a two man back pack tent would be and what people have? Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back Pack tent weight

2,3 or 4 season?? The weights go up with the number of seasons.

Inversely, when the weight goes down the price goes up.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 it comes in at 3.38 pounds and it is a 3 season tent. It is a two person tent but you better like your partner as its a tight squeeze. I use it as a solo tent and it is pretty roomy for one and gear. Two could easily use it but gear would have to be stored outside.

BHB

I like the sil dome combined with a bivy sack and very light weight sleeping bag and pad for early season back pack hunting (ie: not expecting temps below say -5C) Total weight of sleeping / shelter gear is probably less than five pounds with this arrangement. The dome gives you a fair bit of room without much weight and is really quite waterproof. This particular setup has been good enough for a ten day hunt without any days lacking precip of one form or another, snow included.

If you do go this route a couple of pieces of advice:
    1) Use all of the seam goop that they provide and hit every seam, may even be good to go over the critical seams twice.
    2) Keep the dome tight to the ground to avoid wind coming in through the bottom, use logs or rocks if needed.
    3) Eat some Mexican freeze dried food and your sleeping bag / bivy sack will be full of hot air.

The bivy sack / lightweight bag can be brought on your day trips (only 2.5 pounds), which gives you a decent amount of comfort should you pull a stalk that ends with darkness. It is nice to know that you can overnight on the mountain with a certain amount of security in your sleeping arrangements. This method is much more preferable than not bringing a sleeping bag on a ten day northern hunt! Rolling up the bivy and bag takes only a couple of minutes in the morning.

Tents are more weather proof and warmer, but offer less room than my set up and weigh more. It is nice to have enough room in your shelter for your pack, gun and misc gear to dry out if required.

Having no floor offers an added bonus if one is too lazy to go out in the dark to relieve themselves Not that I would ever do this!

A really good 2 person backpack tent will go 4.5 lbs. There's lighter, but I don't like the whole body inside being practically mesh.

I have a North Face 3/4 season 3 person tent and its around 8 lbs.

I have an msr hubba hubba hp, it's 4lbs with foot print, but no bags, just stuffed into backpack compartment. Cozy but doable for 2 6 ft 200 lb guys.

right on, I was thinking a 3 season tent.

i have a big Agnes seed house 3. It comes in at just under 5 pounds. It is a 3 season three person tent. It is the perfect size for me and my gear to both get in out of the weather. Also has a vestebule but still enough room inside the tent for my pack.
    Maybe a little bigger than some but if I have to spend a few days weathered in its alot more comfortable having the extra space.
    SG
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.

I have the Sierra Designs Electron, 3lbs 15 ounces, 2 man tent, however its damn tight for two guys in there. I use it solo lots, have used it with 2 people, but tight, gear stays outside for sure.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Integral Designs MK III 4 Season Single wall tent... Weighs in at approx 5lbs 10oz. Vestible is another 1lb.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!