Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd axis leveling?

3rd axis leveling?

I have been reading a lot of bowhunting articles that talk about the importance of third axis leveling. One in EBJ states the importance of adjusting your third axis. I have been bow hunting for quite a while and I have absolutely no knowledge of this. Can anyone help? I see spot hog even makes a third axis sight now? What the heck does this all mean?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3rd axis leveling?

go to archerytalk.com and do search

it takes quite a bit to explain

Here I found this. Not sure if it is what you are looking for.

2nd & 3rd Axis Adjustments

Some sights feature 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments options. Admittedly, these features probably aren't necessary for a general purpose hunting rig. But for us hardcore enthusiasts and pathological tinkerers, these advanced adjustments are handy innovations. 2nd & 3rd Axis adjustments essentially ensure that your sight's bubble level is always telling you the truth.

The 2nd Axis adjustment essentially deals with "leveling the level" on a sight. If a sight has a built-in level, and the sight is machined perfectly square, and the bow's riser is similarly perfectly square, the level should read a perfect zero-bubble when the bow is held upright at 0º. It's an easy thing to check if you have a carpenter's level. Just hold the carpenter's level along the side of the bow and stand it upright. If both the sight level and the carpenter's level come to zero-bubble at the same place, the sight's 2nd Axis is correct.Naturally, you would think that all sights and bow risers are machined to be square. So you should be able to just bolt your sight in place and everything should line-up perfectly, right? Well...not necessarily. A sight's bubble level is usually installed in the outer pin guard, which is typically round or trapezoidal in shape. So getting the bubble level mounted in just the right place can be tricky business. It's not unusual to see a bubble level that's off a degree or two. And the fussy archer can spend many hours trying to shim and correct a 2nd Axis problem.

Fortunately, some sights come with an adjustment that allows you to "set" the level with just the turn of an allen wrench. A sight with 2nd Axis adjustments allows you to adjust the position of the entire sight housing - relative to the bow's riser, so that your sight's level correctly indicates when the bow is perfectly upright. This isn't a complex feature to incorporate into a sight. Nonetheless, 2nd-Axis adjustments are typically available only on the more expensive sight models.

With all that said, obsessing over the issue of 2nd Axis is largely unnecessary. The whole point of using a bubble level is to keep you from canting (tilting/leaning) the bow when you shoot it. But most people can't hold their bows up perfectly upright at 0º, even with a bubble level. Everyone bobbles a little while aiming - so we're all bound to be off a degree or two from shot to shot. The bubble level just helps us to get it reasonably close. As such, fussing over a perfect 2nd Axis setting is probably inconsequential to overall accuracy for most bowhunters. But if you enjoy the technical hair-splitting, the 2nd Axis adjustment sight might be perfect for you!

The 3rd Axis adjustment is a little different. A sight with 3rd-Axis adjustments can be adjusted so that the entire sight housing can swivel inward (to a position less than square) or outward (to a position beyond square). At first glance it would seem that setting the sight for a perfect 90º would be best (center sight in photo). But that isn't always the case. Most shooters hold their bow with some degree of hand-torque (slightly twisting the bow's riser to the left or right). The 3rd Axis adjustment helps to compensate for that. And since everyone shoots a little differently, a proper 3rd Axis setting is actually unique for each individual shooter. For some, dead square is still correct. For others, it's not.

Getting your 3rd Axis right essentially means getting the plane of the sight to be perpendicular to the path of your arrow. But due to individual shooting form variations, 3rd Axis leveling cannot be done on a vice or jig. It must be done at full draw. It's also worth noting that some bow risers can flex considerably at full draw - also degrading 3rd Axis alignment. So again, a 3rd Axis adjustment is best made with the bow at full draw. If you select a sight with 3rd Axis adjustments, contact the manufacturer for the specific setup procedure for your 3rd Axis settings.

So why does a 3rd Axis adjustment matter? On level ground, it really doesn't. But an improperly set 3rd Axis can cause your level to give an inaccurate reading when shooting uphill or downhill. This can result in you executing your shot with a significantly canted bow - and missing your mark to the left or right. Again, this is an advanced feature for which the benefits may not justify the added expense and setup time. But if you're serious about getting most from a bubble-level sight, 3rd Axis adjustment might be an important feature to consider when choosing a new sight.

Bow Walker Guest

Well done Killman.

awsome posts killman.

that was an excellent description to say the least. i was trying to think of an easy way to explain the whole thing.

thanks for posting and saving me a whole lot of whiteout on my screen!!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Isn't the internet wonderful. A bonehead that doesn't know shit about bowhunting can find all the answers..

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    Isn't the internet wonderful. A bonehead that doesn't know shit about bowhunting can find all the answers..

Hey Killman, do they have a fourth axis adjustment that will keep you from getting repeated string-burns on your arm?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post

Hey Killman, do they have a fourth axis adjustment that will keep you from getting repeated string-burns on your arm?
    Those aren't burns, Looks like I been beat with a bat! I am working on it. Shortened my release a little, got a dead end string stop on the way and bought a sissy arm gaurd

[quote=killman;699392....... and bought a sissy arm gaurd[/quote]
    You did notice that none of the men you shot the 3D with wore arm guards eh? A few of the girls did, I think.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.