Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mechanical release?

Re: mechanical release?

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    My question is, Why not just use a release? You will shoot better.

i know a fella who can shoot a bare compound with fingers, no sights and no peep better than most can with a completely rigged out bow!!!! lol
    its crazy. with the proper equipment insane accuracy can be attained with fingers.
    that being said, the above does not include me in that categorie....
    i love my release......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

I learned to shoot a compound with fingers,got pretty good at it too.A bud told me to try a release.Tightened up the groups considerable,I only shoot release anymore.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I was messing around with thumb drawing yesterday for fun - seems to work better on my compound than 3 fingers, probably due to less finger pinch.

Decent groups @20yds but still way off my sight, think I'll stick to my release... anyone else mess around with thumb draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    As jessebennett says - use a flipper style arrow rest if you decide to shoot with fingers. Whisker Biscuits are not designed for finger shooters. I'm not saying that they don't work - just saying that they work a lot better when used with a release instead of fingers.
    yeah i know ,bought one to get ready for release.started shoot before releases where invented, little slow with the upgrades.
    Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter...

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    Flipper style? is that the fall away type rest? and what do you mean by long enough axle to axle? I've been looking at bows that are mainly in the 29" to 33" length-is that too short?
    Cainer - here's a pic of a flipper-style arrow rest.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I learned to shoot a compound with fingers,got pretty good at it too.A bud told me to try a release.Tightened up the groups considerable,I only shoot release anymore.
    I believe it has been proven that using a release makes for a more accurate shooter than using fingers. I wil submit that the release let's more of the force of the shot to be imparted to the arrow (thru less stressful archer's paradox) than using fingers does.

I believe that using a release, the arrow stabilizes quicker, has more down-range energy, and will be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I believe it has been proven that using a release makes for a more accurate shooter than using fingers. I wil submit that the release let's more of the force of the shot to be imparted to the arrow (thru less stressful archer's paradox) than using fingers does.

I believe that using a release, the arrow stabilizes quicker, has more down-range energy, and will be more accurate.
    Not to mention taking away alot of the human factor resulting in a more consistant release
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    My question is, Why not just use a release? You will shoot better.
    Yeah-I probably will...they're quite sensitive though-definitely needs some getting used to.
    So here's my next question...which release? I've read that mongoose make pretty good ones. But I've also seen ones that you just hold in your hand instead of around the wrist. Any preferences?
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

I prefer a buckle strap for my wrist. I find it easier to adjust the buckle for bare wrist or different thickness gloves. buckles are quieter than Velcro also, if that's a valid consideration.
    And I much prefer the nylon strap that connects the head to the wrist strap. I believe it helps eliminate hand torque on the string hand. Usually refereed to as a NCS [nylon connector strap].
    I've settled on the open hook type heads for their fast loading without having to look.

I'm currently using a Tru-Ball Short'n Sweet and a Scott Silverhorn. I think the Scott has become my new favorite. Both give you a little more draw length without stretching, which basically translates to free speed.

You quickly become used to whatever have.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    Yeah-I probably will...they're quite sensitive though-definitely needs some getting used to.
    So here's my next question...which release? I've read that mongoose make pretty good ones. But I've also seen ones that you just hold in your hand instead of around the wrist. Any preferences?
    Releases aren't overly sensitive at all. They are (99.9%) all adjustable in the 'trigger pull' department. If it isn't - don't buy it.

But I agree with Ambush in that I prefer the hook-type of release. I disagree about the strap, though. I prefer the velcro strap. It's not noisy at all. Just put it on and leave it on. What's so noisy about that?

Velcro straps are also infinitely adjustable. They will fit on bare arms, over short sleeves, and also over bulkier clothing in the winter. Once it's on there is no slippage what-so-ever.

One great example of the hook release is Fletcher's "Fletchunter" release...

Very easy on and off. It can be attached to the D-loop without even looking and will not fire until the trigger is released. They're reasonably priced too, at under $80.00