Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Moose 101

Calling Moose 101

How to call moose by Bigbore

First off - Patience is key, this may take minutes, it may take hours, or even days. Keep doing these steps and you will have bulls come in.

Best time to use a moose call is during the moose rut, in northern BC it is typically the last week of September and the first week of October.

Find a lookout (a ridge beside a lake, or any area where you see fresh moose sign) Hopefully you can see for a ways.

Hang scent holding sticks (tampons work) with cow in heat scent from where you will be calling

Sequence #1

Call 2-300 yards from the lookout. Call from a high point on the ground so your voice carries (a log or a rock formation or a burn pile).

Start calling softly in-case there is a moose nearby, then increase your volume. Use brush thrashing, and a combination of bull grunts and cow calls.

The actual sound isn’t as important as HAVING PATIENCE and not overcalling.

Call (bull grunts and cow calls) and brush thrash (rake an old moose antler, or another dead stick, or your birch bark funnel on some willow and small trees) for 2-3 minutes

Glass area (moose can come in quietly)

Listen and wait quietly for 5-10 minutes, you are listening for a bulls grunt or maybe some thrashing of bushes.

Repeat sequence #1 for 20-40 minutes

After you have repeated sequence #1 for 20-40 minutes go and sit on your lookout for 3-5 hours, 2-300 yards from where you were actually calling.

Morning before dark and starting in the afternoon around 3pm till dark

A cow decoy can be helpful, place it where you will be calling from if you have one.

If a bull comes in, switch to mostly bull grunts. Why? When a cow is in heat and calling, she is likely calling because the bull she has with her is a dink and she wants a real swamp donkey. Once she notices the new bulls presence she mostly shuts up. However the bull with her (you) will continue to grunt.

When grunting, use a higher pitched grunt than the bull who is coming in. It makes you sound smaller and he is more likely to come in and challenge.

Use caution, as these big angry bulls all rutted up can kill you easily, also be aware you may be calling in other hunters, or bears.

The use of wooden paddles, cutout plywood shaped like moose antlers, or old sheds, or even your hands held out and above the head may make the coming bull think you’re just another moose, and disguise your presence, their eyesight is good, however they are blinded by your love moans.

If he is heading nearer to the road, or on a road preferably, shoot him there rather than in a swamp, you will thank me later.

Now all this being said, I have extensivley researched this topic, and I had yet to find a great explination on how to call them. Learning the grunt sounds and moans is easy, lots of videos on the web for that, but I was having a hard time finding the explaination on how to use the calls effectivley.

Also, I have never actually called in a moose or seen one called in(other than in a lot of videos, and talking to hunters who have had success), so if something on here is wrong, or you would like to add another idea, please go ahead, I am open to ideas.

This is just something I thought I would put together so that all the newbies could see how it can be done, and hopefully with some patience we call all whack some big moose this year.
    Last edited by BiG Boar; 06-24-2010 at 10:22 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling Moose 101

Thanks Teach!! Can you make it so only teenagers show up. I can find big bulls it seems, just not the brats!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Ive called in dozens, some right into 10 yards. Your article sounds really good. I usually call right from my lookout, I like to use a cow call, start of light, like you said then wait 20 minutes and give a loud cow call, then give it 20-30 minutes in between calls. Like you said the biggest mistake is over calling, especially if you can see a bull and he doesnt seem interested. Give him time and stick to the schedule. I usually only bull call if a bull has come into a cow call and then hung up in the bush. Then I give 3-5 consecutive bull calls then rake the bush with someone elses synthetic stock If the bull is answering rowhat, rowhat, rowat, then I call at the same pace he is. Dont worry if your bull call isnt perfect, there is a huge variation of calls between bulls and even with an individual. There ability to hear calls amazes me, I have watched them respond from over a mile in high wind, I think the paddles act like big ears, and they can pinpoint your spot from one call. Lots of guys only use bull calls, they are easier to learn, but dont carry near as far. Another thing to remember is dont call a bull you just found by glassing, calling should be used to attract bulls you cant see or as a last resort on a bull that leaving. You dont know if a bull has just been whipped and is scared of another bull call or sometimes his cows might be back in the bush and when they hear another cow they might leave and pull the bull with them. Cows have a pecking order to and the maitriarch doesnt always appreciate more competition
    This is all for moose, I dont know a darn thing about elk once again great article!
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

hmmm start low..but later as loud as you can go..if you have heard a cow in heat she easily can be heard from KILOMETERS AWAY...watched and listened to many but the advanced course given on TESLIN LAKE a few years back was unbelievable..that old gal could belt a lovesick tune heard for many many many kms..

Last year called in 14 bulls in 4 days..brought one from 1.5 kilometers to w/i 40 yards of the lake,,always thrilling to hear that first reply..

Moose travel ALONG long lakes maybe 1st maybe 2nd maybe 3rd bench up..however they come TO round lakes...check it out..it works..

Its pretty certain a cow call will bring in "a bull" usually the big noyz are alreay hooked up..if you can see thats the casee try to upset the bull with another bull challenge call..bull call...

have video of moose @ 10 yards wondering where the lovely lady is...

Steven

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm start low..but later as loud as you can go..if you have heard a cow in heat she easily can be heard from KILOMETERS AWAY...watched and listened to many but the advanced course given on TESLIN LAKE a few years back was unbelievable..that old gal could belt a lovesick tune heard for many many many kms..

Last year called in 14 bulls in 4 days..brought one from 1.5 kilometers to w/i 40 yards of the lake,,always thrilling to hear that first reply..

Moose travel ALONG long lakes maybe 1st maybe 2nd maybe 3rd bench up..however they come TO round lakes...check it out..it works..

Its pretty certain a cow call will bring in "a bull" usually the big noyz are alreay hooked up..if you can see thats the casee try to upset the bull with another bull challenge call..bull call...

have video of moose @ 10 yards wondering where the lovely lady is...

Steven

good advice steven, but I have heard cows call very faintly when they knew something (me on a horse) was real close, the call couldnt have been heard more then 100 yards, I'm not saying start with a meow, but the first call doesnt need to be the teeth rattling moan that you would use to call long distances
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

Thanks for the information.

All I was able to get to respond last year was a pack of wolves.

They didn't come to investigate though.

I'll keep practicing.

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming!

Also, does anyone have the Gouthro's Moose Madness series? Would you recommend it?

This is a great thread Dave! This is the kind of stuff that helps hunters gain the confidence to give it a try. Does anybody have any links to the sounds of the various calls?

I know they are around but if someone has done the work to collect some files this would be a great place to put them up...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Bob try this site: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Moose_S...dio_clips.aspx

Got the dog excited!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I bought a moose calling DVD that is current. Worst calling DVD I have ever seen or heard. I mean it was crap. Not that it wouldnt work, its just that this process wasnt laid out. This was compiled from listening to many peoples opinions and then put into my own words, for how to call properly. Thanks for the tips so far guys, keep em coming. Maybe if this works up north, I will make my own DVD and get all famous.