Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to hunting - need first rifle

Re: New to hunting - need first rifle

size and weight wise the 30-06 and the 300 wsm will be roughly the same. ammo for the 06 will be cheaper. there both good calibers but if I were hunting mainly deer id go with the 30-06, it will still take down a moose no problem how ever....

After a little researching I bought the Winchester Model 70 "Extreme Weather" stainless 300wsm. Definitely worth a look.

Nothing wrong with the browning but I'd pick the t3. They're really nice guns for the money. I'd probably go for an '06 though. It's enough gun for anything short of bison and ammmo is cheaper, always availiabe, comes in a huge variety of loads and doesn't kick quite so hard. I know you said you're not afraid of recoil but if you're shooting it a lot, (and you should before hunting with it) it makes a diference.

I would really like the .06 but I can't find it in walnut and stainless, and that is a must for me. Maybe that's girly but if I am going to spend over a thousand bucks on a gun, I want her to look puuurdy ;o)

Agreed, the 30-06 and similar rounds are quite capable. You mention kick doesn't bother you but with your size, and choosing a mag, you may develop a flinch. That will lead to spraying shots all over the target. Just a thought.

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

both are good choices, but i would pick the t3, my wife shoots mine in a 338 mag. I have used t3s for several years and love them. they are imo the ''best bag for your buck'' and you wont regret buying one
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

I was concerned about that too peashooter, but so far I have been pretty steady. But that is something I will have to consider. Thanks

I think the model 700 XCR II is worth a look personally like it in the 7mm because i believe the balistics to be comparable to the that of the .300wm but with less recoil. Altho .300 will have more knock down power, so the choice is yours! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    I would really like the .06 but I can't find it in walnut and stainless, and that is a must for me. Maybe that's girly but if I am going to spend over a thousand bucks on a gun, I want her to look puuurdy ;o)
    you should be able to find a 30-06 in pretty much any style and make of rifle, you just might have to have it ordered in..

x-bolt 30-06 my choice