Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: traditional bowhunting?????anyone killed a big game animal???

Re: traditional bowhunting?????anyone killed a big game animal???

Does a big animal include a dressed out animal with every edible scap scraped from the bones coming out at 57 lbs come under your definition....aaahhh....it don't freaking matter....wood splinters....blood spray out each side....dead so close you can't find it...it just does not get any better..............until this year! PS, Some of the best stories are not told!

Quote Originally Posted by ROEBUCK View Post
    curios to know why your a very active member of an internet hunting chat site, if you dont like to share hunting stories??
    most guys i know who dont like to talk about past hunting trips would not dream of joining a hunting chat site
    I didn't mean to sound or be offensive with my comment. I just don't tell my stories to people I don't know. Never been a big one for taking pictures of kills either. No big deal. Come sit around the campfire. There's lots of stories and bs to go around.

Why do I spend time here? I'm online 24/7, it gives me a break from work, or other day to day routines. I enjoy helping others and when I can, I provide ideas and information for hunting. When I hear of guys wanting to hunt in areas i know about, I do everything I can to help them focus in on a camp site, areas to hunt, roads to travel in terms of access and status (gates), style of hunting, etc. As an older hunter, I have always enjoyed mentoring young perhaps less knowledgeable hunters. Perhaps that information will ensure they enjoy their hunt more. I like to hear what people are thinking. I'm not so old I can't learn from others and I do learn on here. I think being on here helps find common ground in terms of respecting different styles of hunting. I can't say I always enjoy the politics of hunting on the site, but I am involved in it and contribute to it, both positively and negatively.

Enough reasons?

well said JT
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    J_T....it's not a matter of "spreading" stories or "bragging".

I see it as sharing your adventures with like-minded people.

As bowhunters we are all interested in the "story" behind the harvest/kill. It's part of why we hunt. Every situation is different and every bowhunter reacts differently to a given situation. Don't be shy.
    My comment had nothing to do with bragging. Just personal choice. I find that many on here put a bit too much emphasis for bowhunting success on accuracy, and while at that single moment of truth, it is important, there are many factors leading up to that moment and following it that are equal factors in a successful harvest, in a successful hunt. Bowhunting is up close and personal and that's the thrill of bowhunting. It isn't for everyone and I accept that.

I enjoyed the read from (I think it was) Stone Sheep Steve, where he didn't harvest, but related what hunting is all about. That kind of attitude is always welcome in my camp. one of the least important things in a successful bowhunt (IMO) is killing.

I could tell lots of stories. But wouldn't it be better to come to camp and experience it yourself first hand. Ask some of the guys on here that I've taken on some pretty exciting first time bowhunts.

Bow Walker Guest

Personally, I'd love to share a campfire with you and swap stories.

But I rarely get off the Island these days and all my hunts have been of the day-trip variety for a lot of years now.

Now as far as the great outdoors and just being out there....well, my sig line says how I feel. I don't hunt to kill. I hunt to enjoy the outdoors and hopefully to get something for the table. Not 100% necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I didn't mean to sound or be offensive with my comment. I just don't tell my stories to people I don't know. Never been a big one for taking pictures of kills either. No big deal. Come sit around the campfire. There's lots of stories and bs to go around.

Why do I spend time here? I'm online 24/7, it gives me a break from work, or other day to day routines. I enjoy helping others and when I can, I provide ideas and information for hunting. When I hear of guys wanting to hunt in areas i know about, I do everything I can to help them focus in on a camp site, areas to hunt, roads to travel in terms of access and status (gates), style of hunting, etc. As an older hunter, I have always enjoyed mentoring young perhaps less knowledgeable hunters. Perhaps that information will ensure they enjoy their hunt more. I like to hear what people are thinking. I'm not so old I can't learn from others and I do learn on here. I think being on here helps find common ground in terms of respecting different styles of hunting. I can't say I always enjoy the politics of hunting on the site, but I am involved in it and contribute to it, both positively and negatively.

Enough reasons?
    no probs jt!!

im just taking the steps from compound to instinctive recurve shootin and interested in huntin stories as im a newbie in trad shooting !

good luck with your archery endevours!!

I've been hunting with a recurve for about 4yrs now and have yet to even take a shot at anything bigger than a grouse! That said, I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything! I do rifle hunt also but I enjoy the bow so much more! When I'm hunting with the recurve every detail matters that much more. For me it's like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. Both are great sports cars but its the details that stand out to make the experience priceless!

Been huntin with a recurve since 88. More challenging then a compound and much more fun. I've takin lots of game, deer and blackies. Started making my own bows and got a deer with a home made bow last year. I'm not a trad snob. I will hunt with any one who can fling an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bow Pete View Post
    Been huntin with a recurve since 88. More challenging then a compound and much more fun. I've takin lots of game, deer and blackies. Started making my own bows and got a deer with a home made bow last year. I'm not a trad snob. I will hunt with any one who can fling an arrow.
    The ultimate. Make your own bow and take an animal with it. Way to go. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a trad snob except on the internet. I know a LOT of trad shooters and most of them will hunt with any hunter, young, old, rifle, compound.