Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bowsight technology

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Question New bowsight technology

In the "Bowhunter" magazine july 2010 issue is an ad by "IQ Bowsight" promoting their new "Retina Lock Technology" bowsight. It looks like many of the newer, well-built, fiber-optic lit, adjustable bowsights with leveler and flourescent glowring, but has a dot surrounded by a backlit flourescent circle built into the top of the ring above the sight pins. They suggest that by using this technology, archers will be able to put themselves in perfect alignment, even with bulky clothes on, or while shooting from less then perfect situations, or inadvertently torquing their bow. If anyone has read this article, or has actually used or checked this product out....what do you think?

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: New bowsight technology

I read/saw that in the magazine...it looks a bit gimmicky (on the face of it) to me. If a bow sight is set up correctly (1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis) and the sight's built-in level is used as it was intended, I see no need for an extra bubble level to be added to the mix. Lord knows there's enough details to pay attention to in the heat of the moment.

Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I read/saw that in the magazine...it looks a bit gimmicky (on the face of it) to me. If a bow sight is set up correctly (1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis) and the sight's built-in level is used as it was intended, I see no need for an extra bubble level to be added to the mix. Lord knows there's enough details to pay attention to in the heat of the moment.

Just my opinion, of course.
    I tend to agree....I can see where it might help with inadvertant hand torque, but most modern bows have done a wonderful job with designing hand torque away, and as you say, if you use your level, I don't see how the other dot will make a difference....but I've not tried their sight.

Just sounds like it has a device like the "Anchor Sight" mounted right on the sight. I was looking into these (anchor sight/no-peep) when I first got my bow but have decided I'm happy enough with the regular peep system for now.

Might help create a more reliable anchor point though in bad conditions or for fast shots? Always kind of wanted to try one, but not buy one! haha...

Thumbs up Re: New bowsight technology

Try a Hind Sight. It's awesome.

http://www.hindsightco.com/Default.htm
    Best Regards,

Triggerman

Agree with Bow Walker. Doing appearances on hunting shows all over North America and getting to try out a lot of new archery gadgets I am continually surprised just how many gimmicks come on the market each year, each one promising to be the best thing since sliced bread. Thankfully, most last no more than a year. Makes me wonder at times how we were able to kill so many deer with just a simple steel pin sight 10 or 20 years ago. My advice is always, the simpler you keep it the less can go wrong or break.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    Try a Hind Sight. It's awesome.

http://www.hindsightco.com/Default.htm
    I field tested that sight and it has merit. Although I did find the pins a we bit on the weak side. But then again I am rough with my equipment.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Its not new technology ... the "No peep" has been out for at least 10 years probally more
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rectifier View Post
    ........Might help create a more reliable anchor point though in bad conditions or for fast shots? Always kind of wanted to try one, but not buy one! haha...
    Have you ever tried to level something that has one of those circle levels as an indicator? Larger weigh-scales have them, the RS bow vise company has one they call a "bow shelf level", and other equipment have them. They're a pain to try to get the bubble inside of the circle - and make it stay there.

I've got enough to worry about without trying to get the little bubble inside the circle, as I try to line up in the target/animal, as I am watching the animal and selecting a spot to hit, as I am checking the wind and for branches and the other animals around the target, as I try to calm my heartbeat and breathing, as I mentally go through my shot sequence - and all the other things that happen just prior to letting loose on the animal.

Bow Walker, just wait until you get to be my age, then you will not only have all your mentioned worries and mental check list, you'll have second-guess doubts, confidence anxiety, and fear of not being able to pull/hold your bow long enough for a good shot, even though you know you had no problems during all the weeks practicing, and that you have a lot of experience from many previous successful hunts. It sucks getting old!