Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow for the wife

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Bow for the wife

Sounds like a good plan. One thing though. I'd really suggest that you take the Boorman course first. It's a good investment and she will get some great instruction in a fun atmosphere with like-minded students.

She'll be guaranteed to enjoy the sport then. After that, you can work on getting her out hunting...

yes take the boormans course .... I can teach the sport ... But I will not teach it to my wife ... I will let others teach it to my wife and kids .. but I will not be the lead of the project ... its a personal thing

I have taught the basics to my oldest daughter but I am going to get someone else to enhance and harness those skills ...

I seem to find when it comes to family we get frustrated at each other quicker when instruction is involved

Now .. You stated that will buy her a Razor based upon what we said before ... once you do the course at Boormans .. and she has an idea of form etc ... let her fondle one pick it up .. draw it back etc.... its a great bow but it dont feel right she will fight it and eventully hate the sport .. there are plenty of small structure bows on the market these days that in my opinion are very good ... a couple year old Bowtech Equalizer for instance is a great bow, a friend of mine shot one she has a 26" draw and 40 pound weight and it was screaming at around 295 FPS at IBO weight. The senior womens 3D champ a few years ago for several years shot a Hoyt Turbo Tec at 25" at scorching at 292... Mathews makes a good small structured bow .... all these bows have relitively short brace heights and thats how alot of the speed is acheived but with such a short draw ... a Brace of 6" on a 25 draw is almost equivelent of a 7.5" brace on a 29" draw in terms of shot forgivenece as the arrow is on the string for the same relitive amount of time ... I havent kept up on alot of the small structure bows the last 2 years from alot of the manufacturers .. But Martin makes a good one ... Bowtech/Diamond...Hoyt.. Mathews ... I seen alot of Elites out there by smaller people recently ... I beleive the only Elite dealer in BC is Kootenay archery in Cranbrook??? (someone please correct me)

My point is .. get her hooked and then let her Fondle and touch all sorts of bows to find her match, Being your wife I would think that she older than 14 and done growing ... even though I bet she gets carded at the local liquor store every time ... so a draw specific bow once she is hooked would last her a long time
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 06-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Yup - what he said.....yet again.

Well after a month of deliberation, shooting my buddy's old youth bow and looking at equipment, she's finally equipped with a real bow!

We looked at a couple compounds, Razor Edge, PSE Deer Hunter, a couple youth bows Ron had lying around the shop... she can draw 35lbs on a compound the same way I could draw 50lbs when I bought mine... shakily

But in the end we ended up bringing home a Victory recurve with exchangeable limbs (currently @22lbs) so she can learn good form and build up strength properly. After all I bought my compound after years of occasional recurve shooting to develop some form, she has never really shot before except with the crappy bow I mentioned.

By the way, Boorman's course is booked through the end of August. Bill @ Boorman's said her form looked good enough for a beginner and just going out to practice would be best for her - so practice we will!

I have to say she looks damn fine with the bow, she's already antsy to pull 40lb so she can come hunting, things are going well

Great choice .... I wish i had gone that route when I started ... shooting a re-curve first to get my form to where it should be ...

great thoughts getting a TD recurve so you can change out the limbs as she gets those draw muscles developed

Cant wait to see her pounding the hell outta that X-ring
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Shooting form is something that seems to come and go with frightening regularity. One session you can do no wrong, the next - well, it's all in the crapper.

There are soo many things to remember for each and every shot sequence that it's hard to recall every detail and harder still to do. That's why practice makes perfect....or as near as we can come to being perfect.

Practice sessions should be all about concentrating on just one or two things at a time. This 'ingrains' them into memory and pretty soon (with enough repetitions) they become habit.

It's getting those habits to be correct and good habits that practice is (or should be) all about. Just flinging arrows at the target's bulls eye is a waste of time and energy.

AHHH Rectifier , Your in for a lot of driving home from 3-d shoots with no trophies while your Lady Marion clutches her latest trophy to her bosom . With a Recurve no less
    Good luck to both of you !!!
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Just picked up a PSE 3-pin sight as a door prize @ the semiahmoo 3d shoot today - stuck it on her bow so she has something to aim at.
    Like you said Bow Walker it's good to focus on one thing at a time, trying to learn good form and instinctive sighting at once is probably a bit much, so it's a bit of luck!

Makes up for all those arrows I lost

Bow Walker Guest

Yeah, I learned the hard way about losing and/or breaking arrows. It gets to be expensive.

Practice is serious business. But sometimes you just got to go out there and have fun too.

I have taught the basics to my oldest daughter but I am going to get someone else to enhance and harness those skills ...
    Mikey......If you don't mind the drive our range is always open....even have a couple coaches with decent track records on staff!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson