Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 yard group

Re: 91 yard group

Gonna crack a pacifico for this one.

Good shootin'.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Nicely said. I'm not a proponent for long shots with any weapon. However I also believe we should seldom judge another. And we do, far to often. Ethics are those judgements we make of ourselves when there is no one else around. It's different for each. It gives us guidance.

[quote=proguide66;687360]
    This fall I want to make a live follow 'book blacktail' video to follow and have decided to use the bow( with cam attached to it)

I've been pretty dissapointed in the videos shot with the cam attached to the bow. There must be a better way to self-vid.
    I practice at home and then end up with about 10 seconds of the actual kill, then it's feet and ground and some bushes.
    Need more presence of mind than I've got, I guess.

Looking forward to your's.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

No doubt you are going to come through with a most excellent video. Already looking forward to it. I am also confident that given the terrain that you hunt you will not be needing any of those long range pins.

My money says that we see a 150" bow killed blacktail on this site by next December!

I strongly disagree on the long range shots. The animal has too much time to move out of the way. Personally I arrowed a feeding mule deer at 64 yards a few years back that was quartering a bit away from me. As I released, the deer had enough time while feeding to turn as the arrow was in the air, and I hit directly in the hind, flukely hitting his framortal artery. As it turned out, the deer only went twenty yards, but the point is it was feeding and moved that much. Could have been a bad situation. And that is at 64 yards. I also witnessed my brother arrow a nice bull moose, and put a second shot into him at 80 yards. We captured this on film, and the second arrow did not penetrate near enough, and it was a good shot, that hit a rib, but did not have enough kinetic energy to go through. A moose at 120 yards I feel is unethical, and is just plain asking for trouble. Archery is a close game. I think that the only way a guy should be shooting at those distances is for a follow up shot if needed. I think that those ranges are disrespecting the animal. I do think that it is good to practice out to those ranges, makes the 30-40 yard shots seem like chip shots.

I think that practice will build confidence in a shot. Kenetic engery equations aside, proabably all shots within 100 yards from a compound bow should kill a DEER given the right shot place ment. right?

I don't use pins, don't think i ever will on any bow. I'm limited to 40 yards flat. will start including steep up/down angles to my practice this year. 100 yard shots are possible IMO. just need practice + confidence + sights, to be sure.

Hell,if you have an arm like Randy Johnson you can kill a deer with a rock.Or at least a pigeon.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

well said pg66 ...Ethics are ones own affair. I am a hunter first and a bowhunter second i will take any shoot i feel i can make and sleep well know matter the result. why this thread ever become an ethics discussion just shows how narrow minded some bowhunters are .

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I think that practice will build confidence in a shot. Kenetic engery equations aside, proabably all shots within 100 yards from a compound bow should kill a DEER given the right shot place ment. right?

I don't use pins, don't think i ever will on any bow. I'm limited to 40 yards flat. will start including steep up/down angles to my practice this year. 100 yard shots are possible IMO. just need practice + confidence + sights, to be sure.
    This is my first time with pins to. Due to being right handed/left eye dominant and having no choice but to start with a right handed bow when I was a kid, I stayed bare bow/ finger tab for years.....was never into the equipment pee contest or speed.
    After recieving this bow , it blew my socks off how modern equipment has evolved....that 'thing' makes it soo damned easy!...front sight , rear sight ,one of the fastest bows available and has trigger???...main reason I was shooting to 90 was because it was making me laugh!!..haha...couldnt believe how easy it was with this latest gadget.....woulda went to 100 but our archery range doesnt go that far.....
    As far as the up coming deer hunt goes , I'm guessing I wont shoot even to 40.....BUT..staying practiced up at all ranges makes for some more options while hunting!!!

I shot a bull moose yrs back on a lick in toad river with my bow...67 paces , arrow was 8 paces on the other side of him ,( bear razor heads,love em still) piled up in 100 yard dash...( video to boot)...now I'm not planning on any 100 plus yard kills with an arrow( although it would be verrry cool,hehe)..but I challenge anyone to offer up their chest at 200 yards and catch a broadhead!!!!...I'm guessing yer gonna die!!..hehe....wonder how far the armour was getting pierced by longbows back in the knight in shinning armour days??..i'm betting over 100 .
    Deer season is just too far away..........( saw a CRANKER yesterday in velvet though)
    Last edited by proguide66; 06-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Pretty certain this in the Target archery forum ... the ones that are bitchin about ethics ... STFU ... Target shooting by defination is long distance ... Hunting is triing to get as close as possible .... 2 totally differant entities ...

PG66 ... AWesome shooting man ... when you decide to punch paper or take up up Feild ... you will a force to be reconded with

at the Porcupine hills shoot in Alberta ... we had a game called Battle clout on staurday nite ... 2 stakes 200 yards apart, broadheads, scoring was done via rope 6 points for inner ring 5 for next ect... the rings were 3 feet radius ... was a fun game ... 6 ends of 6 arrows ... best I ever scored a a 35 end ..... that was the last 2 ends once I t took me 4 ends to figure the distance out
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 06-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask