Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

Re: Question

i have been bowhunting for about 14 years now,to be perfectly honest with you i have only taken one shot over 30 yards to be excact it was 37 paces so close to that in yardage and it was a good clean shot nothing in front of me but a buck on perfectly level ground. I have taken 37 deer, 3 bear, 1 elk and numerous small game animals. I have also passed on some in hopes that they would come closer. My real comfortable zone is up to 30 yards, however 95% of my animals that i have taken have been within 20 Yards.

thanks for all the great info. guys. you really answered my questions. i'm getting to really like this site lots of good info.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Bow Walker Guest

I am not "comfortable" shooting at a deer that is over the 30 yd. mark.

That being said if the shot were to be in the open and the deer was unaware of its impending demise, I think that I would chance it out to 35 - 38 yards max.

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    I am not "comfortable" shooting at a deer that is over the 30 yd. mark.

That being said if the shot were to be in the open and the deer was unaware of its impending demise, I think that I would chance it out to 35 - 38 yards max.
    As long as you are confident you can make that shot. Why not. I think there is no rule how far one can or cannot shoot with a bow. The only rule is what feels right to that person in that moment of the truth. I hunt with a bow for over 18 years now and never felt good to shoot further than 20 to 25 yards. I also like to keep rifle shots close, I am sure I could hit a deer way out there but I feel not good about it.

In hunting it's all about what the individual feels confident with and not what others say or do.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

what bow walker said really depends on the atatude of the deer is he looking away feeding is he alert. Last season i had a whitey jump the string he was 30 yards looking right at me.

Bow Walker Guest

Exactly sealevel.......

if the animal is calm, browsing, and is not in a position to look up and spot you then it might just be possible to get him without him jumping the string.

At 35 - 38 yards the sound of your bow will get to the deer before your arrow will.

somewhere i read not to long ago that you would need a bow that shot around 700 fps to prevent a alert whitetail from jumping the string. So its much more important to have a quiet bow then a fast one.

Flyinghigh. Bowhunting should be about how close you can get to shoot an animal not how long the shot was. If you keep this in mind you will be less likely to wound an animal. Shooting foam animals at 3d is nothing like hunting. Best advice to a young hunter is take the IBEP course when it is offered. IBEP stands for International Bowhunter Education Program. It will get you up to speed much quicker than trial and error. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    somewhere i read not to long ago that you would need a bow that shot around 700 fps to prevent a alert whitetail from jumping the string. So its much more important to have a quiet bow then a fast one.
    That's what I have been saying many times too. I rather would not bowhunt than have to use a noisy bow. If I buy a new bow noice is my first concern and will in the end be the deciding factor of buying it or not.

With the average bow the distance where the arrow is faster than the sound is at about 10 to 15 yards. Anything longer than that the arrow would have to be shot at 700fps.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-05-2006 at 06:35 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Max, 30 yds