Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Just wondering what you guys figure the longest shot you'd be willing to take on a deer would be and still be ethical. i would feel uncomfortable over 30-40 yards. Then again I haven't been shooting too long either.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question

what the heck you shooting with? im guessing a bow? but maybe you should clarify!

with a bow i feel safe at 30 yards.

ya, a bow. actually a PSE Venom set at 60 or 65 pounds. i can't remember. this is the bowhunting forum right? lol
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

30 at the max
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

is it common to be able to call deer in that close?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

its common if you have the skill and patience to do it. I've called in deer up to 4 yards, on the ground. if you use a treestand all the better. the deer in my pic i called into 10 yards, but i took him with a rifle not a bow. all i can say is have patience. and for the max distance i would shoot, i would have to say, with my ability, 35 yards. i have shot with a guy who could shoot very accurately and consistenly out to 50 yards, but this guy has been shooting a bow since he could walk. have fun callin em in!!!

How far you can shot with a bow is not a question of ethics. It's a question of proficiency. The general accepted opinion is, that if you can shoot at the range with confidece consistently 3 arrows in a 6" circle at, lets say 30 yards, then your hunting distance would be 20 yards

Being a good archer has nothing to do with being a good huning shot. There are many variables in a hunting situation, such as being nervous, being not able to have a proper stance and body posture, having to make quick shots in unespected directions and many things more. If you never shot an animal with a bow I would keep your shots well under 20 yards.

Yes it is possible to bring a deer close to your stand. Unlike rifle hunting where you can set up a stand just about anywhere within 250 to 300 yards where deer are. Bowhunting is a game of feet, you have to find the exact tree to hang your stand that will bring the deer past a trail that is close to your stand. Bowhunters scout very differently than rifle hunters.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-04-2006 at 11:04 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    what the heck you shooting with? im guessing a bow? but maybe you should clarify!
    This is an archery thread What did you think he was going to use, a spear

FlyingHigh, good questions - and good answers to go with them.

I, too, would 'feel uncomfortable' at 40 yards. Although I regularly shoot competitive archery in FITA events where about 1/3 of the shots are at 55m (60 yd), the farthest I have shot a deer is at 32 yards. And I've turned down many at distances slightly longer than that as well as numerous opportunities closer than 30.

There are too many variables, IMHO, to go beyond about 35 yards in hunting conditions, except in rare circumstances. I highly recommend you get to know your equipment really super well and discipline yourself to take shots at game only closer than 25 yd to start with, and then only if an ideal shot presents itself.

Getting close is what archery hunting is all about and you don't have to call. Other strategies include setting up along good travel routes for ambush purposes or spot and stalk. I believe you are in for some enjoyable times.