Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crossbows?

Re: Crossbows?

I woudn't mind tieing into some Bass again or Perch or Channel Cats! Hey BJ, did you know that there are Walleyes in the Boundry River system? They worked their way up from the states. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

seems to me you have to get within 30 yards reguardless if you use a regular bow or crossbow-and correct me if I am wrong-but a good part of ''hunting'' is the ability to get in close

In the US xbow are legal in some states during archery season and not in others. Here in Missouri, where I live, I have a defermant card being as how I'm disabled. I use an older Jennings Devastator 150 lb draw. It's a heavy bow but Ive found it to be very reliable and consistantly more accurate than a lot of newer bows. I have a Simmons Scope mounted on it. It hits hard, and very fast. One can be had off of Ebay for around $300. It's a good bow to start out with.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin
    seems to me you have to get within 30 yards reguardless if you use a regular bow or crossbow-and correct me if I am wrong-but a good part of ''hunting'' is the ability to get in close
    That is exactly what makes me laugh about the silly bow v. crossbow discussion. The only thing some bowhunters have against the crossbow is the fact that the string is not held back by manpower, which for some is considered "not sportsmen like".

Appart from that, the crossbow is every bit like a "normal" bow. It's a short range weapon and highly effective. Heck, you even need to practise with it. Imagine that.

I like crossbows, the only thing I hold against them is that they can be a bit cumbersome to drag around all day on a spot and stalk hunt.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I like crossbows, the only thing I hold against them is that they can be a bit cumbersome to drag around all day on a spot and stalk hunt.[/QUOTE]

probably being a bit nit picky here huntwriter(things are slow...lol) but both my crossbows have studs that allow slings to be attached, making tranport actually not to bad. Not sure how a crossbow would be more cumbersome than a recurve or compound when spottting and stalking. I think anything in your hands when trying to get within 20-30 yards wiil be cumbersome...but a fact of life.
    after rereading this it is definitly nit picking...must be getting bored.

bcfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by bcfarmer

probably being a bit nit picky here huntwriter(things are slow...lol) but both my crossbows have studs that allow slings to be attached, making tranport actually not to bad. Not sure how a crossbow would be more cumbersome than a recurve or compound when spottting and stalking. I think anything in your hands when trying to get within 20-30 yards wiil be cumbersome...but a fact of life.
    after rereading this it is definitly nit picking...must be getting bored.

bcfarmer
    Tong in cheek. Not nitpicky. Only one serious note here. On a spot and stalk hunt I would never carry any weapon on a sling over my shoulder, defeats the purpose of spot and stalk a bit.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-12-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

when someone who uses a mechanically advantaged bow,with a sophisticated bowsight,and holds the string back with a mechanical release-then claims the use of crossbows is not ''real'' bowhunting,I question the rationale behind their reasoning.I will accept the ''purist'' arguement from the longbow hunter who uses wooden arrows fletched with turkey feathers and only uses his fingers for a release-if it makes any diference