Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossbows?

Re: Crossbows?

I'm not a new hunter, but i am new to bowhunting. The more I look and learn about bowhunting the more bowhunters look the dysfunctional cousin in the hunting family.
    The elitism is astounding. (not necessarily in this thread, just this forum overall)

You hit a nerve there. You are right, but believe me it's not just on this forum. Bowhunters can be very single track minded. In fact to become a successful bowhunter you have to have a bit of a stubborn streak in you. Bowhunting is very involved, you have to shoot your weapon more just to stay in shape. You have to scout very differently then a rifle hunter. Just finding any old area that holds game is not enough. You have to find the exact location and then the right tree to hang you stand. And so the list goes on.

I am 60% bowhunter but you are right, there have been times where I have been almost ashamed to say that. When I ever I have a heated opinion exchange then it is with bowhunters. A rifle hunter never would say to me, "What you hunt with a bow? You are not a proper hunter." But I hear such nonsense talk quit often from bowhunters when I tell them that I also hunt with other weapons like rifle, slug guns and muzzleloaders, don't even mention crossbows. If you do most will treat you like you just told them you have the plague.

I often wondered why that is and I still can't figure it out. To me bow hunting is all about having fun and having yet another option to harvest game.Neither do I find that a bowhunter is more ethical or a better hunter, not in the least bit. A bowhunter just uses different skills that all. So does the muzzleloader hunter and the crossbow hunter. Many elitist bowhunters would be very surpriced to see how much skill is needed to shoot a crossbow, but since they refuse to try they never will know and keep talking about something they have no clue about it.

My advice to you is listen to what others have to say, especially when you still learn, but keep an open mind and have fun. If you hear narrow minded and elitist talk walk away and laugh.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-09-2006 at 08:15 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

The 'Hummer' Guest

Almost four years ago I was 'introduced' to archery. Since then I get in at least weekly target practice with a compound bow and Deer hunt with it as well, when I get the chance. While I enjoy archery, I don't have any intention of giving up my firearms that I use for the same sport purposes. Crossbows are not an interest of mine so I have no intent of getting or using one. For those that choose to do so, its exactly that, a matter of choice. To paraphrase & echo a some of the same sentiments expressed by Huntwriter, I feel the ethics should be the same reguardless of the 'tool of choice.' I also like his last advice, "keeping an open mind." The objectives remain the same. For some, the primary purpose is the trophy aspect, for others its to fill the deepfreeze and for others yet, it may be to enjoy the experience & outing in the company of good friends. Where I've found the greatest difference is in the diverse skills and tactics or methods required to be successful with each particular 'tool of choice'. I'm in the preliminary planning stages of setting up for a Moose hunt in Alaska, about 2008, using a 500 S&W handgun. As a result, I expect a whole set of new tactics / logistics will come into play.

Talking Re: Crossbows?

As a Guide Outfitter & Angling Guide & Traditional Bowhunter, I have passed average life expectancy and will without further ado duck and run now..............>>>

PS: But I am not ashamed to be any of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman

As a Guide Outfitter & Angling Guide & Traditional Bowhunter, I have passed average life expectancy and will without further ado duck and run now..............>>>

PS: But I am not ashamed to be any of these!
    I understand what you say. But it is exactly that what at times disturbs me a bit, namely that we have to be careful not to open a can of worms. I just wish that folks who do not like crossbows could find it in themselves to skip this thread. Or simply post "I don't care for crossbows" without going on a rant about it. Be happy we are all hunters. Different hunters. But hunters nonetheless.

I like traditional bowhunting, I even would like to try it. In fact I have tried it but it's not for me. But it sure is fun for me to take it out for stump shooting.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 04-10-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter

My advice to you is listen to what others have to say, especially when you still learn, but keep an open mind and have fun. If you hear narrow minded and elitist talk walk away and laugh.
    Oh, don't worry, when I hear someone spout off about how using certain equipment is wrong or "too easy" I'll let them finish and then promtly ignore them. I'm new to bowhunting, but not to bows (shot them most of my life). The same goes for fishing. While I think fly fishing is the way to go, I'm not about to put down a hardware chucker for using what he wants to use. It's all about the enjoyment of the sport, not what you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phred
    Oh, don't worry, when I hear someone spout off about how using certain equipment is wrong or "too easy" I'll let them finish and then promtly ignore them. I'm new to bowhunting, but not to bows (shot them most of my life). The same goes for fishing. While I think fly fishing is the way to go, I'm not about to put down a hardware chucker for using what he wants to use. It's all about the enjoyment of the sport, not what you use.
    I once mentioned on a fishing forum here in B.C. that I like Bass fishing a lot. Good thing we where not sitting in the same room, I might would have to fear being lynched there and then. It got so ugly that the admin had to lock the thread I think a few got "laid off" too for the language they used to tell me what they think of Bass fishing and fishers who do fish for bass.

Sad really to think that people can be so narrow minded. Sad for them not me.

The 'Hummer' Guest

I guess I'm missing the point of Moosemans response. I see quite a bit of his experience deals with aspects of angling. I like fishing, and it doesn't matter whether I use herring plug, flies or 'scrap metal' as bait. What ever fits the situation. I am 'catch & eat' though, not catch & release, but I don't begrudge someone if that happens to be their bag.

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter
    I once mentioned on a fishing forum here in B.C. that I like Bass fishing a lot.
    I love bass fishing too (perch also). Trout fishing is OK, but not near as much fun (too slow). Just curious - you can PM me to keep it from hijacking the thread, but why on earth would anyone have a problem with bass fishing? I can't think of a single complaint, rational or otherwise, that someone might have with bass fishing.. ??
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Well I guess I sure opened up a can o' worms with this thread... anyways thanks for all the input... I am considering a crossbow as an introduction to Bow hunting... dont know if I will go that way or with a traditional compound bow... if I even do... I have hunted nearly all my life, been brought up with it and all the ethics towards hunting, fishing and the great outdoors in general... and as with anything the only way you will get better at it is to practice... which is why I try to get out target practicing before hunting season starts and to even shoot a few grouse, yotes or rabbits before going for the bigger game to check my bearings and shots... and with a bow of any sorts it would be easier to target practice... I could go in my back yard if I wanted to (cant exactly do that with a rifle or shotgun)... but thank you all for your input...