Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossbows?

Crossbows?

Anyone use crossbows? If so what can you suggest? I am contemplating buying one in the next couple years and wanted to start looking into it, what people thought of them and any suggestions for buying.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crossbows?

Oh boy, you may be kicking up a hornets nest with this one...Have you read the prior threads about crossbows

Personally, I own and hunt with a Horton Hunter Elite 175lb bow...I love it..Great quality, shoots great....Lifetime warranty on the barrel, which is machined aluminum, not nylon, like some out there....

My father-in-law has one too, he bought his in Kelowna (forget the shops name, but paid almost $1000 for the setup)..I watched and searched EBay for about 6 months and got my package for around $500 CDN, after the exchange, duty and taxes etc were all over and done with...Same bow, half the price.

There are a number of good bows out there, as well as some junk...Do your research...

I personally did not care for the excaliburs (MY OWN OPINION) because the heads were not compound, which made them quite wide, could be a pain packing in thicker brush....

Go for a good quality package, practice lots and buy good quality broadheads and you should be satisfied....Dont try to pinch pennies or you will wound stuff, get pissed off and end up hating it..

I am sure you will get more opinions than mine, so hang on to your hat...

My suggestion if you want to enter the realm of bowhunting is do your research to determine your need. Check the regs as well for bowhunting opportunities.

If the crossbow is what you are looking for, there are lots of them out there. Take the time to compare performance with cost. There might be a difference between what Can Tire will sell you and what a quality sporting goods shop will sell you. You might also want to consider your support network. Are you alone in this endeavour? Who will make adjustments to the machine? Where will you shoot? Supplies?

It would be my wish that this thread remains civil.

Your subject line is sort of like laying a wounded animal out in a pasture in the midst of a bunch of wolves that haven't eaten in a while.

JT

Yeah I kinda thought I may be stirring up a hornets nest... but decided to take my chances... kinda been pondering it for a while now dont know if and when I will.

As for repairs and such, I know a couple of the hunting stores down here have a lot for bow supplies and what not. But another reason I am starting now and preparin for the future with lots of research on the subject. Plus it would be kinda nice to maybe get the wife involved to, as she has mentioned she wouldnt mind tryin archery.

Thanks for the opinions guys, any and all are welcome... just hopefully I dont start any major fights.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T

Your subject line is sort of like laying a wounded animal out in a pasture in the midst of a bunch of wolves that haven't eaten in a while.

JT
    Very true, lets hope the wolfs have eaten and are sleepy now.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44
    Yeah I kinda thought I may be stirring up a hornets nest... but decided to take my chances... kinda been pondering it for a while now dont know if and when I will.
    You made the right choice by "taking a chance". After all this is still a free country and not Soviet Russia. We should not be intimitated by those who not like what we are doing.

Like it has been do your research before you make a decision. The web is a wonderful place for researching and reviewing. Use it. There is a lot of company independednt information out there. Look at all the options and don't get hang up on a particular brand name, because they don't mean much. Suitabilty and quality price relation however, does.

Good luck
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

i won't get into this one. (yet, lol)

I'd vote for an Excalibur, hands down.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I myself have never hunted with one but I have friends that do. As I see it they take out one step the bow hunting that is you can walk around with it cocked all the time . This takes out the drawing process . I used to be dead set against them on the 3d crouse or hunting but after some thought and trying a couple of them . I have changed my mind . I have been a archer for 13 years. I thought they gave a advantange to the person using them untill i tried one . (there is a little do to the fact you aim it as a rifle) You still have to judge the yardage & place the shot . As I see it we (me included)that have run clubs or shoots in the past or even now are at some fault for not allowing the cross bow's at the 3d shoots . There are some shoots allowing them now which is good . This will allow the people that own a cross bow to get out and practice. They do not do any more damage tha I have been able to see than a fast compound bow's and carbons . There is more damage done to the targets on removal of the carbon arrows if not lubed or soaped . I gess my biggest problem is the people that buy any type of archery equpment and not become proficent with it . IT PI$$ES me off that people have the nerve to buy any type of weapon for 2 extra week's of hunting there should be a manditory cource you take to get the change to hunt with archery gear . Just my thoughts AND I KNOW THAT THERE A SOME THAT WILL ******DISSAGREE STRONGLY ***** but would it not be better for all of us and the game if we all became proficent with any of the weapons we choose . PLEASE DON'T BEAT ME UP TO BAD LOL
    calvin L

As long as the weapon of choice is legal and one can shoot it good enough to humanely harvest an animal then who are we to judge.

Let`s turn this into a constuctive thread then. Some think u can just buy a Xbow sight it in and go hunting. I could teach someone in a day to shoot a compound good enough to shoot a deer or bear at 25 yards if i tell them what to shoot it at. The hardest part of shooting is knowing your distance. Thats with any archery it takes practace to learn to shoot up or down hill. I have watched xbows and i personly wouldn`t shoot one for several reasons but is there an advantage to shooting one NO