Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseback Access Cassiar Area

Horseback Access Cassiar Area

We are planning a trip to the Cassiar area and are looking for information about access to good caribou or sheep hunting areas by horseback. If anyone knows of pack trails in the area can you please let us know. We are particularly interested in areas we can access with our horses where quads can't get to. Does anyone have information about access and hunting in the Horseranch Range? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Horseback Access Cassiar Area

GET READY FOR OPEN SEASON ......... your 1st post ......... sheep access info ......

NOW THAT'S FUNNY !!

CT

GUNS ARE ABOUT TO GO OFF !!

if i knew i would tell ya, i want to hunt the cassiar too
    Even if I don't have anything polite, intelligent, or even remotly on topic to say .. I try to post anyways

a guy was telling me about a trail that went into that country but said the horse feed was scarce. can't remember where the trail took off but will give him a call in the next day or so and re vist the conversation. at the time i was interested more in caribou and that was what we discussed. didn't investigate to much. I know there is a quad trail going into tucho lake that you can take and keep going where quads end. its in lancasters area and gets into great caribou and not bad sheep areas. two days travel supposedly good ground to travel in.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Go in at the Cassiar mine site....follow the yellow brick road.....3 days to the Kawdy for Caribou, will see rams on the way but usually young. Caribou are the best Sept 12-24 out on the flats. If you have horse power you will find all the trophy bou you want.

Thanks to Bridger and Hotshoe for the ideas. I'll wait for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    Go in at the Cassiar mine site....follow the yellow brick road.....3 days to the Kawdy for Caribou, will see rams on the way but usually young. Caribou are the best Sept 12-24 out on the flats. If you have horse power you will find all the trophy bou you want.
    About says it all.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

What is the "Yellow Brick Road"?

Starts at the old mine.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Blair,
    Get yourself a map for the area, if you have horse experience you should be able to pick the best looking route and you should pick up some sort of a horse trail. If you don't, turn around and try again. If there isn't some remnants of a horse trail after 50 years then you probably don't want to go down or up that valley. Go exploring and learn the country on your own, that's half the fun of a pack trip, don't expect a well marked hwy to follow, treat your ponies like gold and good luck!