Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beetles for Skull Cleaning

Beetles for Skull Cleaning

Hi folks,

Anyone out there have or know someone with beetles for skull cleaning?

If so post up some info,

Cheers.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Beetles for Skull Cleaning

I have some

where does one go about finding beetles? i am just getting into cleaning skulls for myself and am gonna try both beetles and boiling see which one i like best

Hey pupper if you go on "hunting tips and tricks" website (free to join) justin ott has a very informative method of how to make a good skull mount . Check it out

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natebavis View Post
    Hey pupper if you go on "hunting tips and tricks" website (free to join) justin ott has a very informative method of how to make a good skull mount . Check it out
    Nate
    haha thanks Nate!, I am trying to use beetles to keep the mass of the skull as I clean it prior to being measured for the B&C book. Boiling works great for making a nice looking skull but it does shrink the skull. Plus I dont think I can find a big enough pot to boil this sucker in.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

Find a place out in the yard away from where dogs can get at it . Get some fresh horse manure put some hay under the skull then cover with manure then cover with a couple inches of hay , leave for 2 months . Done

Quote Originally Posted by natebavis View Post

Nate
    HAHAHA

Sorry Bro I have to Laugh...

Pupper is the owner of the "hunting tips and tricks" site IIRC... It is some good PR for him tho!!!

Cheers

Dutchie

you are looking for dermestid beetles. There are several sites out there that sell kits to get you started. Nasty little critters. Can clean off a bear skull in a couple of days. You do not want them to escape, fur, head mounts, rugs, wool sweaters they eat them all.

Try your own compost pile in the back yard. Leave the skull out for even a partial day - till the maggots get to it, then bury it in a compost pile. I do all my bear and deer that way now. With warm temps it will be clean down in a couple of weeks. 2 years ago I got a spring bear cleaned it down with the knives then buried into a pile of compost - it took only 2 weeks! I could not believe it. 8 hours of bleach. Immediately after the bleach I soaked over nite in Simple Green to stop the bleach action and to make it smell good. be careful of the bleach make sure to check it every couple of hours.
    I know lots of people say not to use bleach, but it works great and fast - I think the trick is to soak it again in the Simple Green to stop the corrosive action of the bleach. it has work great for me and I have 2 bear and a deer I have done this way.

If you put the skull under a evergreen on the ground, they will find it. The beetles would bury all my squirrels for me under the spruce trees.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member