Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bear rifles

Re: bear rifles

I've always said "There's no such thing as a stupid question" BUT this is about as close as I've seen in a long time. Still it was better you asked than to find out after you shot a bear and UPSET him so with that pea shooter!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

22-250, great for Gophers and Coyotes on the Prairies! Can't imagine a Bear though.

To be perfectly honest, ( in my opinion ) Thats just stupid, plain and simple...Thats just my opinion.

PGKris Guest

Are you stupid?

I thought you were supposed to shoot an animal and have it either die really really fast or very shortly after. Not shoot it, piss it off and have it run away and give it a really bad attitude from then on. BANG FLOP not "ping, oh SHIT" Always use enough gun, have respect for the game...

I have a 30-06... ploughs threw black bear.... speaking of black bear the season is starting pretty soon

If you use the 22-250, be sure to remove any iron sights from the front of the barrel. That way it won't hurt so much when the bear sticks it up your behind after you cheeze him off shooting it at him

(old joke - but a goodie )

the 30-06 or 7 would be perfect. Pick one gun and shoot it this year if you can. Switching back and forth is a mistake if you can avoid it. Whichever feels more comfortable - these days there's little to split between them for what you're hunting.

my buddy has used the 22-250 on black bear in one instance with one dead bear on impact.

he is a very skilled shooter, and was able to put a 55 gr. sierra into the neck from 150-200 yards

it certainly is not a good choice, especially for a rookie hunter who has never shot a black bear before
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

22-250 is a damn fine coyote, or gopher round. NOT a bear round. Do some searches on google, yahoo, or even this site. 22-250 shouldn't even be considered for bears.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

mind changed i thot the ammo companies might make somthing bigger then 55, but i will be using a 243 hopefully and i do think that is a great idea, nvm 7mm for sure if i do run into a big bear (not likely if i have a tag thansk to murphys law) "rolls eyes" then ill have the 7mm wanted to try it onm somthing anyways, i just always use a 30-06 or 300 usualy wanted to try somthing smaller
    Last edited by moose hunter; 03-31-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead