Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going for a hike....

Re: Going for a hike....

For all youth wondering:

A minor’s licence will permit you to borrow non-restricted firearms (ordinary rifles and shotguns) for the following activities:
    • target practice;
    • hunting;
    • instruction in the use of firearms; and
    • taking part in organized shooting competitions.
    A minor's licence will also permit you to acquire ammunition unless there are age restrictions under provincial law.
    As a general rule, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a minor's licence:
    • You must be at least 12 years old. If you are younger than 12, you may obtain a minor's licence only if you are a Canadian resident and your provincial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) determines that you need to hunt or trap to sustain yourself or your family.
    • As a general rule, you must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and pass the tests before you apply for a licence. However, an exception may be made if you are a Canadian resident and you need to hunt or trap in order to sustain yourself or your family.
    All from the CFC.

So if I have my minors licence (which I do), could I carry a non-restricted firearm without an adult?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes there would be a licenced adult with us, and yes i do have my minors fire licence.
    If you have a licensed adult with you - your license is irrelevent. You don't even need a license to use a gun with a licensed adult there. Your license alone is not sufficient tho.

Who knows, I may just end up taking the bear spray and my hunting knife with me.
    In black bear country that's all most people need most of the time.

Just remember - black bears have a habit of re-engaging after they break off once sprayed. They'll back off for a few mins, flank you or get behind you, and try again. Pepper spray isn't quite as effective on black bears for some reason as it is on grizzlies based on tests and real world experiences.

So - take a big can, and more than one if possible (get someone else to carry a second can). A single big can is only good for about 3 or so doses - and if it's a long walk back you may need more.

Also remember with blacks that you fight like hell - none of this 'curl up in a ball' stuff. A good hiking stick is valuable - whop 'em upside the head with that if needed.

So if I have my minors licence (which I do), could I carry a non-restricted firearm without an adult?
    Not usually.

As mentioned - usually they place some restrictions on it to the effect that your parent has to be 'with' you. Not necessarily supervising you like they would if you had NO license, but out there with you.

Check with the CFO to make sure you know your restrictions. I doubt you can use a firearm all by yourself - but double check. No one here can tell you for sure what your license is restricted to, only the CFO's can do that.

Thanks Foxer. Thats some real good info.

When I was getting interviewed by the CFO, he asked my mom if and what restrictions she would like to have on my licence, she said none...so I dont know, Ill get someone to phone them when im at school.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer

Check with the CFO to make sure you know your restrictions. I doubt you can use a firearm all by yourself - but double check. No one here can tell you for sure what your license is restricted to, only the CFO's can do that.
    ya right you do that the CFO is never there i have phoned already 5 times and every time he is out of office till a later date now it is the 10th when he was gone till the 30th.
    ttyal
    Riley
    There is room for all gods creatures........ right next to the mashed potatoes
    its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

ya right you do that the CFO is never there i have phoned already 5 times and every time he is out of office till a later date now it is the 10th when he was gone till the 30th.
    Hmm - i've rarely had a problem getting hold of 'em.

Tell 'em you just smoked a violent grizzlie in downtown vancouver, and what should you do with the body? You'll probably get a call back fairly quickly.