Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going for a hike....

Going for a hike....

Well mom wants to take some friends from work on a hike up one of the logging roads. She and her friends are scared of bears so I offered to go, I told her I would bring my rifle....just incase. The area she wants to go has a pretty good bear population, as it is close to town.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has taken a firearm on a hike? Also do I need to bring my PAL or registration papers with me, or is it all against the law?
    Last edited by CanAm500; 03-28-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Going for a hike....

Arent you like 13 or 14???

Take an air horn or bear spray. Less chance of shooting a hysterical woman !!!

Give the women some bells, a pair of running shoes and send them on their way. As long as your mom can run faster than one of her friends, she should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Phred
    Give the women some bells, a pair of running shoes and send them on their way. As long as your mom can run faster than one of her friends, she should be ok
    Put the fat one in heels

Actually Give Them Sturdy Hiking Boots And Pack Runners For Yourself.......... You'll Never Out Run The Bear But You Will Out Run Them. Survival Of The Smartest
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has taken a firearm on a hike? Also do I need to bring my PAL or registration papers with me, or is it all against the law?
    Ok - i'm going to answer your question. But before i do, i'm going to give you some really good advice.

The fact you have to ask this suggests you're too new at this to be taking a firearm into a hostile situation with a bear without a little training. Seriously - firearms are great tools for bear defense, but your head is your number one defense, and unless you've got some experience with bears, or have a lot of experience shooting your gun in a situation similar to what you'll face with a bear, you're probably better off with pepper spray and a big stick.

Get someone to teach you a little before you do it. Seriously. There's ways to train, but if you're not a bit of an old hand at it you can get in over your head real fast.

Ok. Having said that - not only do i take a gun on a hike, really i'm often just hiking to get out in the woods with my guns

Any crown land not specifically forbidding guns (like a national park or something) that isn't part of a municipality is generally ok. You can find no-shooting areas and more information in the regular synopsis. Check it out for the area you're thinking of.

You do need your pal of course (c'mon dude - you've got a gun. You need license and certs with you, always. You should know that).

It's also good to take your hunting license with you. If an officer stops you you don't want him to think you're a poacher. Shouldn't be a problem given your circumstance.

Don't do anything crazy like hike around with a bunch of women with one in the chamber or anything.

you got your CORE you got a tag then take your rifle, so what!! As long as you are not breakin any laws ..As for bears hey if ya got a decent rifle and a decent cartridge then fine.
    The grandma's should have the bear spray,me I hiked for many a yr, it our priveledge
    Only stupid people are never wrong.

me I hiked for many a yr, it our priveledge
    Yeah - but the difference is when the bears see you, they start asking if it's legal to carry a gun for BCBOY defense

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer
    Ok - i'm going to answer your question. But before i do, i'm going to give you some really good advice.

The fact you have to ask this suggests you're too new at this to be taking a firearm into a hostile situation with a bear without a little training. Seriously - firearms are great tools for bear defense, but your head is your number one defense, and unless you've got some experience with bears, or have a lot of experience shooting your gun in a situation similar to what you'll face with a bear, you're probably better off with pepper spray and a big stick.

Get someone to teach you a little before you do it. Seriously. There's ways to train, but if you're not a bit of an old hand at it you can get in over your head real fast.

Ok. Having said that - not only do i take a gun on a hike, really i'm often just hiking to get out in the woods with my guns

Any crown land not specifically forbidding guns (like a national park or something) that isn't part of a municipality is generally ok. You can find no-shooting areas and more information in the regular synopsis. Check it out for the area you're thinking of.

You do need your pal of course (c'mon dude - you've got a gun. You need license and certs with you, always. You should know that).

It's also good to take your hunting license with you. If an officer stops you you don't want him to think you're a poacher. Shouldn't be a problem given your circumstance.

Don't do anything crazy like hike around with a bunch of women with one in the chamber or anything.
    Good answer Foxer.

The rest of you, common now please. Marc made this thread so that young hunters have a chance to ask questions and these questions deserve a proper answer and not been laughed at or turned into a joke.

There is surley nothing wrong with having fun but if we want to help the young hunters to get better then we have to take them seriously.

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

lcpaintballer - take Foxer's advice to hearth please. Shooting a firearm under stress is a whole different kettle of fish than shooting it on a relaxed range.

Stress shooting situations have to be practiced first. In the case of an attack there are so many things flying trough you head that you barely will have time to think or act if you are not use to it. In such situations you have to act almost instinctive like a perfectly tuned robot otherwise you could be in more trouble than you ever dreamed of.

I have worked around and with wild animals at very close range and can tell you that such stress situation handling can be learned very easy but it needs to be learned first, it is vital.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"