Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for grouse?

Re: What do you use for grouse?

Yes, Fred,

I noticed the deficient velocity and foot pounds distribution and sectional density coeffient of the projectiles when a low shot bounced off a wing and the chicken clucked at me in indignation and flew off. The next time I go to the range I am going to chronograph my marbles, and compare them to steel and lead balls for velocity.

Problem is that I am sighted in for the glass marbles and may have to readjust my sights.

Quote Originally Posted by lcpaintballer
    What kind of 22's do you guys use?

All that is avalible around here is the winchester wildcats, they are 40 gr. Should be good enough for ditch chickens .

Also, anyone try shooting one with a pellet rifle?
    American Eagle. It's ultra cheap. Deadly accurate. I find the hollow points group better than the round nose. 36 grain bullets, I think.

I've tried out them Wildcats in three different rifles and one handgun. Consistantly inconsistant groups, for me.

My beak buster is a CZ (Bruno) bolt jobby.
    Fine shooter....

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Ok my next question; What .22's do you use?

Mr.Dean has already said American Ealge, but what else. I have a Ruger 77/22 (the bolt action stainless steel) and all I have been using is the winchester wildcats.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been using a Savage Mark II with a Bushnell 3-9x for the last few years, but I'm about to be upgraded to a Norinco JW-15 with a Bushnell 3.5-10 w/ trajectory compensator. (yes, upgraded - the Savage, while adequately accurate for grouse and rabbits inside 30 or 40 yards, has the worst accuracy of any .22 I've ever owned, no mater what ammo I feed it - no headshots past 30 yards.)
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

No... Seriously I don't use my 7MM.

I have taken chickens with Rocks, Truck Tires, Slingshot & Ball Bearing and also my trusty lakefield .22 with a bushnell 3x9.

The ammo I really liked was the "Stingers" I forget who makes them now but they kicked butt in that gun.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Pellit gun. hunter47.

i do use my 7 mag , shoot there heads of, used the 20g and my twenty two. watched a friend of mine try to shoot the haed off of a grouse he shot to low all that was left were two legs. 300 weatherby mag sure made a mess. cci make stingers. i just use watever long rifle 22 shells i can get the best deal on. the grouse dont know what your shooting them with.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 03-27-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Ok well, I think I am going to try and get some chickens this year with my 22. I got a Bushnell .22 Rimfire scope 3-9x40 on my Ruger 77/22, just got it sighted in at the range so good it can hit shotgun shells at about 50 or so yards.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i'm with ruger on this one i just use what ever .22lr are the cheapest (usually at walmart).I think the box i have right now are winchesters, i also think i have some federals in my ammo box.

I have a Crossman backpack pellet gun that I've used and a .410 or .22 depending on what I bring for the day. I bought a slingshot last fall and a sack of marbles that I want to try this year just for the fun of it. The pellet gun can be pumped quite high and sounds like a .22 if you pump it 20-25 times.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra