Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for grouse?

Re: What do you use for grouse?

17 hmr is lethal out to about 75 yrds and adds a little challenge to it. Or if I really want a challenge I use the old pole sander that slides around the box of my truck lol... 1 for 1 with it so far

Usually a 22, but have knocked the heads off many a grouse on the way back to camp with whatever Im carrying at the time, I found that the venerable 30-06 puts em down without any issue....lol

Late Father In Law used to talk about whacking them in the head with a hockey stick.
    We don't call 'em Fool Hens for nothing.
    Personally, I prefer a .410 or 22.

Like I said mostly 12ga. stevens sxs now. But some of the other comments reminded me of some of my early grousing as a kid. Had one run into the rock that I had thrown at him it was going to miss him by yards, another time I got 6 bird's with a two foot stick that never left my hand. Was going to get more until my dad called me off, said leave them alone leave some for seed. Some of my fondest memories as a young hunter involved grouse hunting, I think why they were put here was so young guy's or gal's can have some success on some of their first times out.

I use my 22 Anschutz or my 20GA CIL. Pretty happy with either one. A lot of the time, the grouse do their very best to either help me shoot them or to jump right in front of my truck.

I've really lost interest in grouse, unless it's a blue. Not enough juice for the squeeze.

But to answer the question; it depends. I have a Cooey 410, an Ithaca 20 gauge or an old Winchester bolt action .22 and a Stevens single shot to choose from. The 410 has been the best grouse getter by far.

Rocks, sticks, rolls of flagging tape, paint cans, a DBH stick, a handheld radio, the front diff works good, a hard hat once, even kicked on once, and sometimes a .22. The 12 gauge (only cause that's what I have) when im feeling like stacking the odds and taking the sport out of it!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Ruger 10/22

.22, 20g or 12g. depends what packing at the time

Hmm 12 gauge,20 gauge,270 with 130 grain..lol..rocks too..
    Latest is Remington 597 hb 22 lr..still in the arriving stage..well loved Leupold 2x...7x 33mm will sit on it , weaver bases..and whatever rings Nechako suggests..have a few additions. .mcarbo hammer spring and aluminum bushings, Volquartzen hammer and ejector..
    Perhaps by opening of bunny season I can have Ebony primed for grouse.
    So many folks behind this project really wanted the Volquartzen..but Abercrombie and Fitch taste on a Costco budget lol.
    Im expecting half inch groups..sighted in at 50 yards..havnt a fuzzy notation of ammo yet..
    But it should be a grouse..bunny gooder..
    ELMER