Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for grouse?

Re: What do you use for grouse?

.410 single and or .22 pump (preferred)

I use a frisbee golf driver disc once this year. Wasn't a clean kill, the bird started fluttering around in a circle so I grabbed it and wrung its neck.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

[QUOTEthehammer]This tread kills me every time it gets resurrected. Some folks on here talk like all grouse are equaland all are hunted in the same terrain, seems all they know is a “road chicken”,makes me laugh. In BC we commonly hunt 4types of Grouse in more different types of terrain than you can think of, how is it one shell or bullet does it all. Oh and some do fly.[QUOTE]
    Well I have hunted Blues, Ruffies, Spruce, Sharptail as well as Ptarmigan from the Yukon to the US border, The Island to the Rockies over dogs using a 12 ga, #7.5 shells, seem to do just fine for all.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

If one were to take the same combination posted above they would surely do well on Sage Grouse too by carrying the travel on south of the U.S. border.

As for me, I like a 12g with #6 shot but am flexible/not too picky on the shot size as long as it is not smaller than #7.5.

Marlin 795 loaded with mini-mags with a 2-7 x 28 Leupold rimfire scope. Pop the heads off ditch chickens all day within a stone's throw.
    Last edited by Bubba123; 11-18-2013 at 03:51 PM.

"Well I have hunted Blues, Ruffies, Spruce, Sharptail as well as Ptarmigan from the Yukon to the US border, The Island to the Rockies over dogs using a 12 ga, #7.5 shells, seem to do just fine for all."

Funny I remember reading one time you said you us high brass # 6 for blues.

I may have, 6 are the preferred load for some of the bigger birds ie blues and pheasant BUT I've killed a pile with 7.5 upland load and you said "how is it 1 shell does it all". My point was that combo does just fine. So would 6s for that matter. Take your pick either or. if you want to split hairs.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

20 Ga #6 for me.
    Great uncle used 7.5 in the early season because the birds held tighter.. Then as the season progressed hed switch to 6's.

I have just always bought 6's... When you are Ditch chicken shooting it usually is at a distance. Hunting behind a dog, well i still use 6's ..

I use a 20 Ga..22 LR..and I tried a sling shot using steel shot this yr...I sucked with the sling shot, went back to the 20 Ga

I will use 7.5, 8, or 6 shot in that order...depending on terrain and what I have in my pocket at the time.

When wing shooting, I think choke is more important than the size of shot or gauge. I like a cylinder choke or IC for grouse.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-22-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    To warm barrels and cold noses