Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwater hunting - pics

Underwater hunting - pics

I started spearfishing (freediving w/ snorkel, mask & flippers) about 13 years ago on a trip through C. America. I got back into it a few years ago and it's an awesome way to get your hunting fix in the off season!! We need more spearo's in BC... Here's a recent trip:

The family had some plans near the coast, so I brought along the gear and decided to try to find my first ling. Drove all night on the red-eye express & awoke after a few hours of sleep to an awesome coast line shrouded in grey...sheets of rain & fog, but more importantly - the swells were still small & I had high hopes for visibility underwater!

I headed out to the rocks that I had scouted on G-Earth & ran into a retired commercial fishing captain on the trail. We bs’d for a while & he figured the storm would break after noon. I trusted him & decided to catch some zzz’s, in the meantime.

A few hours later, I awoke to the calm after the storm, just as that old sea dog predicted! After a steep climb down the rocks I slipped in... Although I’d never dove in ling habitat before, I grew up in the water, was a lifeguard & have been spearin’ for ~13 years. It was a cool new aqua coloured world w/ 20’ of vis!.. kelp, jellies, bait fish, seals & lions barking in the distance. I worked the rocks for a few hours, shot a few meals and got a feel for the habitat & the fishy spots within the kelp forest…

Near the end of my dive, I started to find the ling lying in ambush at the bases of the thick kelp & bumped a couple that quickly disappeared into the forest & endless caves in the rocks. Hunting them is similar to still hunting whitetails through the thick bush. I was psyched that I’d at least found one!

Back in town I hooked up w/ some spearos that I knew from another board. They were awesome guys & turned out to be even better spearos. We drank a few beers, told some lies and planned to head out in the morning on their boat to some islands… (continued)
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 10-24-2017 at 01:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Underwater hunting - pics

Nice action and cool pix, where were you diving?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Now thats cool. Please post some more pics when you get the chance. I could see myself doing this one day?

This is the coolest thread in a long time!!

hey,,that fish has a divers knife in his head!!,,,and a spear through his gills i think he may be dead..lol
    cool pics!!

Awesome thread. Looks like a lot of fun!
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Really unique and distinctive. Its hunting to me not fishing lol. You just shot him with an underwater bow. Very cool. +1 for coolest thread in a while
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

I can't wait to hear the rest. Great story.
    It sounds like a blast.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Cool pics. West coast of the Island? I used to spearfish too using scuba gear. Awesome fun. Once a big octopus grabbed my speargun which I had set down so I could take some pics. Quite the tug of war to get it back.

Great pics!! I love underwater shots, another member here is a free diver had the greatest pics, but I think he got married or something........What was his name um Colon.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless