Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Underwater hunting - pics

Re: Underwater hunting - pics

you only Free dive spear fishing?

Yep - just a snorkel & mask. Although I was a lifeguard/instructor, I never got SCUBA certified. I always planned to, but I was usually too broke when I was traveling... It is legal to spearfish on SCUBA in Canada, but it is illegal in most places.

There quite a few guys around Victoria that spear. Let me know if you're interested & I can put you in touch.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

id love to but right now I have a 4 year old im teaching to do stuff! she is taking all of my time. we caught her first trout this spring,,, a nice 16" Brown.
    I don't know if I mentioned it anywhere here but I grew up on ocean front property here in Vic. Saxe Point Park... as a kid we used to spear fish right off our shoreline. I used the same spear gun my dad did at my age in the same house... We still have the gun too lol... it was handy though because we could drop our gear in the pool house and there was a shower right there...

one day i'll get back at it.... maybe when my kid passes a few more levels of swimming lessons, she is only a "sea otter" right now lol....
    there it is,,,,, that's my way in! lol

Yup that’s the spot all right. Lots of critters in the ocean there. Coromandel is just gold eh.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    id love to but right now I have a 4 year old im teaching to do stuff! she is taking all of my time. we caught her first trout this spring,,, a nice 16" Brown.
    That's great - nothing better than adventures with your kids! I slowed down hunting, etc. to focus on & spend time with mine. It goes fast - enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Macnbro View Post
    Yup that’s the spot all right. Lots of critters in the ocean there. Coromandel is just gold eh.
    Oh yeah - New Zealand is one of my favourite spots in the world. You're lucky! The people are also amazing - so friendly. I met Andy through a spearo forum & he invited me up to stay with him & spear. He was such a generous host & loved sharing his back yard with me. We hunted some deep offshore pinnacles for yellowtail. The currents bring nutrients from the deep up through the rocks & baitfish congregate here. Diving down these steep underwater cliffs, we eventually found 2 big kingies hunting below the bait:

He took me out to some of his favourite spots - snooping for snapper. It's cool hunting, similar to stalking whitetail in the thick. You crawl along weedy underwater cliffs & still hunt down into the canyons. You can also bait them by smashing kina (urchins) with a rock & returning in ~15 minutes to see who smelt it... It was spawning season & most of the snapper were out in the deep gravel beds. When I got back to the boat & told him that I only saw a couple of young snapper, he didn't say much. After I grilled him a bit, he casually opened the cooler & the fish of a lifetime was in it... 28 lb snapper.

We stopped in an idyllic sheltered bay for a pic. He told me that his dad was an offshore fisherman & in the summer, he often dropped him & his brother off in this spot. They would set up camp in the little grove & spend the days snorkelling, fishing from shore & cooking their catch on the campfire, waiting for him to return. One of their greatest adventures they hooked a big shark from shore. They battled it for hours, eventually landed it & were so proud to show him...

My first scallop dive in the shallow (~30 ft) sand flats. You dive down & eventually learn to spot their filter holes & faint outlines in the sand. We worked hard for an hour+ and eventually limited out, exhausted. He sent me home with a feast:

Awesome end to a great day with cold beer & freshly speared hamachi (yellowtail) sushi on his deck:

His son is talking about touring Canada & I hope I get to return the favour & show him the mountains in our back yard...
    Last edited by steepNdeep; 12-26-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

wow wow wow. What a cool trip.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

awesome! thanks for sharing!