Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coquihalla Summit to Tulameen

Coquihalla Summit to Tulameen

i'm going camping at Otter Lake next week and thought I try to get there via the Coquihalla instead of Hwy 3. Anyone familiar with the FSR's to Tulameen ? What condition are those roads in ? I'm driving a Subaru Outback.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Coquihalla Summit to Tulameen

the roads aren't bad back there, it gets a lot of traffic. I've seen loads of people in there driving minivans and street cars. Just keep left as you go in and follow the signs that they posted for the snowmobilers, and the forest service road signs as well.

You should have no problem,great scenery and wildlife,just take your time.

Sounds like a go - thanks !

To add a little to the other posts. You need to take the Britton Crk rest area exit off of the Coq. At the entrance to the rest area turn right one more time. About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard. Down that road at about the 6km mark, you'll be faced with two choices. The right turn will take you to what's called "River road" of the two it's the better road for "city cars!!" Just pay attention to the signs for Tulamean and you'll be good. The left turn (actually straight option) is the Lawless road, it's a little harder on anything less than a truck or SUV. Stay on the main and it too will take you to Tulamean. Both roads actually meet up again about 1 block west of the general store on 2nd ave IIRC.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard. Down that road at about the 6km mark, you'll be faced with two choices.
    Was just there this past weekend. I would say it's about 150 yards. Other than that, I think your memory is serving you well.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Was just there this past weekend. I would say it's about 150 yards. Other than that, I think your memory is serving you well.
    Have to agree with you Whonnock as I was down there on Saturday seeing if there was anything of interest.

I am also going that way in September with truck and camper. Whats a good Forestry campsite to stay at? From steeleco
    note looks like I can take the left or right road.

Thanks

murphy lake is nice, and decent fishin for small rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbros_96 View Post
    Have to agree with you Whonnock as I was down there on Saturday seeing if there was anything of interest.
    No, Steelco is correct - the "Y" junction which goes to River Road or Lawless is about 6 km down the road. The 150 yards from the cattle guard will not get you to Tulameen.
    Steelco's suggestion of the River Road as being easier on a non truck is a good suggestion as much of that road is a wide, nicely graveled highway compared to Lawless. There are some ugly parts as you near Tulameen but overall easier than Lawless. Lawless is very doable in the Outback - we've taken our Forester down it many times, just have to take it easier.
    Did Lawless last Saturday AM in the Ranger and it's in good shape as far as Lawless goes and might be taking it late this Saturday evening but my old eyes, dark road, full stomach, no sleep ( and of course orders from the wife ) just might find me doing the Hope Princeton instead.