Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bow Only Season's

Re: Bow Only Season's

in my opinion the bow season is a way to save some of the stupid animals. in my first bow season last fall i came within 60 yards of countless animals and if the first season of the year allowed rifles everyone would fill out any tags they wanted to . there is a huge diference in animal awarness from the start of early bow season to the end.
    I am a member of..
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I primarily hunt with a bow, but will sometimes take a rifle out. I personally think there are enough bow only opportunities in the province. Up here in Fort St John for example, the bow only deer season is just as long as the rifle season. Not to mention, the bow season is in September when the days are long and you can still go out after work. The rifle season is in November when it is dark by 5:00, so you basically only have the weekends, unless you take time off work. We also get the prime time for moose during the rut. In the East Kootenays, not only is there a bow only season, but it is open for any elk....seeing as rifle hunters can only take 6 point or better bulls, that is a huge opportunity. So, you can't just look at the number of weeks bow hunters get compared to rifle hunters, but the opportunities within those times also.

Also, BC covers alot of area, with a relatively small number of hunters. Combine that with the recent mild winters and the fact is BC can support a reasonably long rifle season on alot of species. So, its not that easy to compare us with many other areas in North America, which are in someways forced into long bow only seasons to sustain high wildlife numbers, while at the same time providing a sufficient number of hunter days.

Just my opinion.

Tmarshall - I agree with most you have to say. But I never will agree that a hunter has to pay for walking on someone's land. I know in America this has become a huge money maker, especially in trophy deer areas.I know of a guy in Idaho who paid a farmer the asking price of US$500.00 just to walk across his land and hunt whitetail deer in a river bottom. Yet that famer didn't do any QDM, he just happen to have some large bucks on his land. In Kentuky I know of duck hunters who are prepared to pay a seasonal trespass fee of US$ 20.000.00, also no duck management. it's considered "normal".

I understand that a farmer or racher who practices QDM and leases the land can ask for any price a hunter is willing to pay. But just to step on the land. No. Never. The animals belong to all the people of a state or province and to ask money without doing anything for it is not only not fair but the total commercialization of hunting European style where only the well-to-do can afford to be a hunter. While the rest hunts rats on the local garbage dump. Not my idea of hunting.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by ARC
    I primarily hunt with a bow, but will sometimes take a rifle out. I personally think there are enough bow only opportunities in the province. Up here in Fort St John for example, the bow only deer season is just as long as the rifle season. Not to mention, the bow season is in September when the days are long and you can still go out after work. The rifle season is in November when it is dark by 5:00, so you basically only have the weekends, unless you take time off work. We also get the prime time for moose during the rut. In the East Kootenays, not only is there a bow only season, but it is open for any elk....seeing as rifle hunters can only take 6 point or better bulls, that is a huge opportunity. So, you can't just look at the number of weeks bow hunters get compared to rifle hunters, but the opportunities within those times also.

Also, BC covers alot of area, with a relatively small number of hunters. Combine that with the recent mild winters and the fact is BC can support a reasonably long rifle season on alot of species. So, its not that easy to compare us with many other areas in North America, which are in someways forced into long bow only seasons to sustain high wildlife numbers, while at the same time providing a sufficient number of hunter days.

Just my opinion.
    Good points, and welcome to HBC!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I really enjoy the bow only season , short as they are , nice quiet time in the bush without fear.
    someone asked about other areas, I was at a 3D shoot last year and a group from Edmonton said they could take 4 deer in bow only seasons and areas around edmonton, some right on the outskirts of the city. Not sure if this was accurate or trying to make me jealous.
    I also hunt with my bow in the GOS or in a LEH if lucky enough to get drawn. Only when it comes down to crunch time for my freezer will I use a rifle. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

With a provence that you could stick texas in each corner and 80.000 hunters could we not bowhunters have some bow hunting only. Deer are easy there every where a bow hunter can get aways a never see another hunter for a week. But go down to the bull river and try bowhunting elk in the general season . I am not in favor of shutting down the provence for sept. and give it to the bowhunters . But it would make sence to me to give us say 4-15 in oo6 and 4-22 in 007 to bow only. nobody would miss out on any hunting oppertunaties.

Rainwater Guest

Bow Only Means Bow Only. How Much Do You Want The Government To Have To Pay To The Family Of The Guy Whacked During A Bow Only Season Cause He Didn't Read Up On The Youth Season, Why Would He, He's A Bowhunter Not A Kid.

Rainwater Guest

All in favour of Bow only seasons. Worked hard to get im and wanna save em for all ages.

Rainy: Maybe they will change the wording. Juniors and Bows Season. No more bow only. Just took a step back in time. Ya know, anyone can hunt with a bow in Bow only, they just have to buy a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    With a provence that you could stick texas in each corner and 80.000 hunters could we not bowhunters have some bow hunting only. Deer are easy there every where a bow hunter can get aways a never see another hunter for a week. But go down to the bull river and try bowhunting elk in the general season . I am not in favor of shutting down the provence for sept. and give it to the bowhunters . But it would make sence to me to give us say 4-15 in oo6 and 4-22 in 007 to bow only. nobody would miss out on any hunting oppertunaties.
    That is what I have been suggesting all the time here. That bow hunting and rifle hunting can very well coexist together in that we reserve some areas for bowhunters and others for rifle hunters. Especially areas where the wildlife needs more protection the low impact bow hunting would be a good choice as management tool. But there are also other areas with more game. Such areas could be annualy rotated so that nobody feels left out. For example one year the bowhunters get the early season and rifle hunter the late season and the next year the other way around. All that is needed is a bit of good will from both sides. It works on other places where they have to content with twice or three times the hunter numbers than we do. Why should we not be able to find a suitable solution it here in B.C. too.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"