Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: questioning my 7mm

Re: questioning my 7mm

my buddy shot a mule deer with his 7 mm in the neck and it almost took its head off. im pretty sure it will kill your moose. you could always try a grenade if thats not big enough!

Nothing wrong with a 7mm. It's fast becoming as popular as the .30-06. As it has been said here before, it's about shoot placement and bullet choice.

I have heard that on this forum a few times that someone said "... and it still run for a while." Call me ignorant but do some of you expect animals to drop dead in their tracks after been hit?

It rarely happens, at least not to me, I have had many heartshot animals and they still run for up to 50 yards. They are dead they just don't know it yet. Last fall my friend keept firing at a buck he shot in the lungs and when I asked why he would waist three more bullets on a already dead but still running deer. He replayed "It's not dead yet. It hasn't fallen."

Always have been cuious about this as I only ever hear here in Canada that hunters think the animal has to drop on the spot.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

youngfellla Guest

Huntwriter, I agree. I've seen a deer get shot with a 375 H&H from about 25 yards with a 260 Accubond through the chest, and it turned and jumped away like nothing happened. In total it ran about 110 yards before going down. When we gutted it, we found that it's heart was totally destroyed, yet it ran a long ways after being hit. Like you said, it was dead but didn't know it.

By the way, 7mm is way too small, you need a .600 Nitro Express for moose.

And an iron shoulder.

It's about two things:

Bullet placement

Bullet design

You need to properly place a bullet in the vitals, that is designed for big critters. Grain size of bullet doesn't really matter (bigger will tend to be better, but not necessiarly), it's if the bullet was designed to perform properly on a critter of the size you intend to shoot with it.

Look at the boxes on the bullets you buy. Winchester at least (and probably most others) will state on the box what size of game the bullet/load in question was designed for. Buy accordingly, and you should have no problems whatsoever.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

moose are you talking 7mil mauser or 7mil mag, they are both good for moose, handloads work very well for the 7 mil mauser. place your shots in the kill zone. and youll be okay.

Call me ignorant but do some of you expect animals to drop dead in their tracks after been hit?
    Of course!!! First shot every time. No running in the thick stuff aloud and most definitely, no running down steep hills to die 100 yards away STRAIGHT down!!!

The 7mm is more then big enough to do task if your good enough to put the bullet in the right place for a clean kill. Most hunter who have been around a few years will have their own ideas of what constitutes a good rifle/cartridge combo they consider ideal for moose (or other critters) but the reality is just about all center fires except the smallest would be sufficient to knock a moose down, if you do your part. The 7mm ballistics are more then adaquate to tip over anything in north america......
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter
    Nothing wrong with a 7mm. It's fast becoming as Always have been cuious about this as I only ever hear here in Canada that hunters think the animal has to drop on the spot.
    I think there's a few of reasons for that.1. We're overachievers.2. Canada's so big we don't want to chase animals clear to Saskatchewan3. We don't want to spill our drinks.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50
    I think there's a few of reasons for that.1. We're overachievers.2. Canada's so big we don't want to chase animals clear to Saskatchewan3. We don't want to spill our drinks.
    Good one.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

its a 7mm mag, well gave her a test run and boy did she cook and the pad that camwe on the gun absorbed most of the recoil,jammed once just cuz i accidently picked up 2 shells but no biggy, i am a very good shot under pressure so i think ill be able to put it in a good spot, thanks for the input guys i feel much more confident now
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

Quote Originally Posted by moose hunter
    its a 7mm mag, well gave her a test run and boy did she cook and the pad that camwe on the gun absorbed most of the recoil,jammed once just cuz i accidently picked up 2 shells but no biggy, i am a very good shot under pressure so i think ill be able to put it in a good spot, thanks for the input guys i feel much more confident now
    Wasn't sure when you wrote "7mm" but assumed that is what you meant. For once my assumption was right. I stay by what I have said, a 7mm mag is plenty gun for every North American game including bison and grizzly. Heck you even can go to Africa for some plains game too.