Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questioning my 7mm

questioning my 7mm

is a 7mm really enough for moose ive seen posts of people saying their moose run all the time with a 7mm, the bullet is rather small and it wont get higher then 175 grains..why? i bought my 7mm for a bigger more powerful rifle but im thinking now it might just be left until deer season?
    how many guys here use a 7mm and have thjeir moose run alot?
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

2. Site Sponsor

Re: questioning my 7mm

It's abotu shot placement, and good bullets.

If you hit a moose in the rigth place, it will go down just fine. It's probbaly in the top 3 cartridges that guys use on moose in BC every year.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Abselutly right Gatehouse. Ive seen my brother kill a moose with a .243 at 100 yrds. 1 shoot= 1 dead moose.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

nothing wrong with a 7mm.

My family has been flattening moose with the 7mm since the 70's. The first moose i ever saw my dad shoot was with a 7mm back when i was barely a teen.

With a decent bullet, the 7 is an excellent moose killer, time and again. cheap bullets at close range were the only ones that ever 'failed' in the animal, and it still died within a few yards of where it was shot.

175 grain partitions have been the mainstay for decades, although last year we switched by bro's 7mm (dad's old gun) over to 160 grain xlc's . Haven't shot a moose with it yet, but i am quite confident what the results will be when we do.

The 7mm mag is plenty gun for moose.

Oh - and you'll get plenty of 'bang-flops' with a well loaded 7mm, same as any gun. Like Gatehouse said - put it in a good spot.

Post Re: questioning my 7mm

Ive shot two moose with the 7mm Rem Mag

one with 175 gr. X's and the other with 160 gr. Partition Golds

both instances ended with a rapid death

7mm Rem Mag is a good moose cartridge, when loaded with premium bullets. I prefer 160 or 175 gr. Partitions, but a 140 gr. TSX would work well too I bet.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've taken 4 moose with my 7mm. All dropped within 20 feet. I used 160 gr.

One more vote for the 7mm, its been a relible killer for me with 175 gr. winchester powerpoints. I have never recovered a bullet yet, moose have gone no more than a few yards after being hit.

This moose was dropped in its' tracks one shot with a 7mm 175grn. hornady interlocks. My dad took many moose with the same 7mm all were one shot from 100 yards out to 600 yards not one of them went more than a few feet after being hit, (he used the grand slams in 175 grn) most just dropped where they stood.

http://usera.imagecave.com/moosecall...firstmoose.JPG