Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Has anyone eaten domestic pigeons

Re: Has anyone eaten domestic pigeons

Hunted and ate lots while posted overseas, both in Germany and France..really a fancy dish. Having said that, I asked about eating the ones in the valley here, and was told that after all the chicken, turkey and duck farms were closed to avian bird flu..and because pigeons travel from barn to barn, why risk getting sick..So, they are fall when hit targets, and get handeled with rubber gloves...And I used to like eating them..seems a shame, but after that little bit of info, kinda lost the drive to cook em up...

you cant get avian flu from eating wild birds, it comes from living birds and if you wear gloves while handling and wash your hands etc then you should be fine
    you get the flu from animal saliva and mucus not from blood or meat

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp mule View Post
    Supernova, Try hunting near the tracks and let us know what happends and how many years you have in Jail. Use your brain if you think of hunting near tracks. If you want to hunt pigeons, depe3nding where you live, if in the lower mainland go to a dairy farm that has pigeons and make contacts. You will probably be requiredto use a pellet gun so that you don't put holes in the roof or scare the cows butthe best time is in the evening when dark and you plug up most secape route. Then attach a flash light tot he gun and have at her. It is great fun and you can clean a barn out in a night or two. If you shoot a owl then you have not learned your ethics from your CORE
    Hey Bud, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? He is just enquiring, he is not saying that he was planning to hunt on railways. Reeeeelax!!!!
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

Don't have to HUNT them on the tracks, use a live trap, train the dogs with them and the ones that you shoot and don't freeze whole for retrieving practise skin and put on the Q with a nice honey garlic or sweet and sour sauce some cold Buds and you have a feast.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by stugatz View Post
    Hey Bud, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? He is just enquiring, he is not saying that he was planning to hunt on railways. Reeeeelax!!!!
    A year and a half later ..... You are officially nominated ....
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Don't have to HUNT them on the tracks, use a live trap, train the dogs with them and the ones that you shoot and don't freeze whole for retrieving practise skin and put on the Q with a nice honey garlic or sweet and sour sauce some cold Buds and you have a feast.
    X2 as a kid when Da was training 8-10 dogs we ate a lot of pigeon, always some hanging in the larder, Mother had many good recipes for them and the were good as I recall. Waste not Want not That was Da's motto so the training birds were always recycled 1 way or another. Price out squab in a 5* sometime, we didn't know how high on the hog we were eating.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    A year and a half later ..... You are officially nominated ....
    whatever its a bit late, but the point was there.....shucks!!!
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.