Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone eaten domestic pigeons

Re: Has anyone eaten domestic pigeons

Ive ate 3 this year. Bbq salt and pepper. My 1.5 yr old loves them. I like it too. The are grain fed from a farm in surrey. Try it !!

Back on the farm in Langley on Livingston rd, 40 to 50 years ago we kept domesticated pigeons . A pigeon coop by the barn. The pigeons roosted at night in the coop and we you could walk right up to them with a flashlight in their eyes. Pick which ones you wanted for dinner . Grasp selected bird around body. put the neck between thumb and forefinger. Apply a little pressure and thats all she wrote. Yummy!! Excellent eats.

I have a family of Band Tails living in my back yard. I just haven't figured out a way to bag 'em yet.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!

Suggest you wait until Sept 1st.Might want to bone up on the regs.

Haven't eaten domestics since I was a kid. I nocked a bunch this year, as the one of the farmers asked me to shoot any I saw while waterfowling. I was going to eat them but at couple guys that hunt the area wanted them for there pups. I ate the 2 bandtails I managed last season they were good, like grouse as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    Suggest you wait until Sept 1st
    Why would he have to wait for Sept.1st?
    Kim

i know a few people who raise them for eating, aparantly the feed conversion is better than chicken and they grow fast and lay clutches often. and are quieter and not as smelly as chickens.

im gonna stick with raising chickens myself i like the white breasts more than dark ones.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why would he have to wait for Sept.1st?
    Kim
    I believe he was referring to Wolverines comment about the Bandtailed Pigeons, as they have a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

[quote=SuperNova;664304]i was told by a friend that domestic pigeons were great eating ...

Eve and I went to a Conservative Fundraising Dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Van. When the pigeon dish (squab) came around we thought that it was some type of cornish hen so I generously helped myself. I took one bite and had to run to the washroom to spit it out! Something that tastes worse than tofu!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Domesticated pigeons are "not" on schedule "C"....Columbia Livia "Rock Dove" and or wild pigeons are! These also should "not" be confused with Bandtailed Pigeons which are about 3 times the size. Pigeons can be eaten and are super tasty, but make sure to inspect them carefully many wild ones carry "Canker" and "Salmonella." The ones raised on farms for slaughter are medicated for both of these. If its skinny its sick or is rittled with worms, open the beak and look down the throat if theres cottage cheese looking stuff stuch to the insides of the throat toss it. Lastly if around its a$$ is dark green, good chance of salmonella!