Quote Originally Posted by Marc
If it's your first season or your fairly new to big game hunting and you want to get a couple of animals under your belt a doe draw is a great way to improve your odds in getting a deer. If there is a doe draw in a given area it means that the population is near saturation in that area and could use a few does taken. I hunted region 5 and 7 last fall and we were seeing without exaggeration 20 to 30 doe and fawns a day. If I were hunting up that way again this fall I'd be putting in for a doe tag. Don't let people try and talk you out of it because it's a doe. It's better eating then some old tuff buck.

The main thing is to try and keep the new hunters interested in hunting and part of hunting is taking something home once in a while. You’d be amazed at how proud a young hunter can be, and the glow on his or her face when they’ve shot their first deer be it a buck or doe. It’s a great accomplishment to them. Why would anyone want to discourage someone from the experience so early in his or her hunting experiences for the life of me I don’t know. You can have multiple tags for different regions in a year so don't be worried that it's the only deer you'll be able to hunt. It's pretty much a guarantee of having meat in the freezer. I say go for it and be proud of what you get and don’t let others try and put you down for it.

Marc.
Great advice, this is my first big game season as well and that sounds like a great way to get some good meat, and some experience huntng/field dressing large animals.
P.S. can't wait to see that new hat