Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Doe LEH

PGKris Guest

Re: September Doe LEH

Like Marc said, 20-30 does per day is not uncommon in regions 7A and 5, especially along the blackwater and tako roads. We hunted that area for 3 days last during bow season last fall and saw 58 does and 4 bucks. That's out of control. I'm all in favour of doe draws. I like meat and thats what does are. Obviously, don't shoot one that has a fawn with it. I'm going to be putting in for 5-13 this year I think. What region are you going to put in for? Some areas of region 5 have ridiculously low odds.
    KRIS

Does are made for new hunters and old first time bow hunters if you get a draw go for it the meat is great.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    Does are made for new hunters and old first time bow hunters if you get a draw go for it the meat is great.
    I think does are made for every hunter not only old first timers and new hunters.

As it has been stated here a few times now, some hunters see 20 and more does but no bucks. I would say that is well out of whack. The does should be culled drastically down. In some places I would recommend that a hunter only can get a buck tag if he first kills a few does. In Wisconsin where the deer population was the same this system worked very well do reduce the doe population. You could shoot as many as 10 does in one season.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I agree with Slyfox.

I put in for mulie and whitetail doe every year. I've only got the draw twice, but I've been along when a buddy has got one too.

You don't have to shoot a doe if you really don't want to, but it gives you an opportunity to get some meat to take home if you don't see a buck in your chosen area.

I've applied in places I've never been to before too, so it gives me an opportunity to try new places, see what the buck hunting is like, and if it ain't that great but there's a doe around, well then Bonus.

I went to one place a few days ahead of the Nov. 1 LEH opening day hunting in the any buck season, didn't see any, but I had the does figured out by then, so in the first 1/2 hour of daylight on Nov. 1, I had my doe on the ground.

But I would have stayed around if that hadn't worked and looked for either a doe or a four-point. Having a doe tag just improves your options.

And boy are they nice to eat!
    Last edited by MichelD; 03-23-2006 at 03:14 PM.

I've shot a couple of does, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The high quality table fare is worth it.
    Anyone I've talked to that said, "I would never shoot a doe, cow or a calf", has never had a real reason not to. They just said that it was female, and therefor they would never shoot it. If you read about wildlife managment, you'll see that taking a few does does some good.

Besides, chowing down on females is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Phred
    I've shot a couple of does, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The high quality table fare is worth it.
    Anyone I've talked to that said, "I would never shoot a doe, cow or a calf", has never had a real reason not to. They just said that it was female, and therefor they would never shoot it. If you read about wildlife managment, you'll see that taking a few does does some good.

Besides, chowing down on females is fun
    A lot of hunters don't "waist" a bullet or arrow on a doe because of peer pressure and all the big buck hoopla in hunting magizines. This buck craze puts way to much pressure on young and new hunters.

I have known hunters that went years without shooting anything because they waited for the big bucks. How can they shoot a big buck, if it walks past there stands, if they never have shoot at anything but a target.

So yes, I agree with you 100%
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I think with our 4 point only in sept-nov- & dec. our buck to doe ratio is getting a lot better i would hate to see a open doe season . But a leh doe is great.

If you don't start harvesting does, here is an example of how much out of hand things can get. A friend of mine here "high fenced" his 500 acres several years ago. The first season they harvested 133 does, the next season 83 does, the third season they started harvesting bucks. Most of the rest of the county and region is in similar shape... just tooo many does!!!!

no way to a open doe season it should be leh only. back in the early 90s there was a doe season in region 3 , and there were lots of hunters in the area i hunted it didn't bring the population down much. a lot of it is politics. i always go for leh doe draws. nothing wrong with it. it is better then eating an old rutting , stinky buck. unless your just hunting for trophy's. funny thing is crop owners can get a permit to shoot as many deer as they want to protect their crops, thats fawns, does and bucks. i know one guy that used to do this to protect his apple trees and apples. he said hes shot so many deer it made him sick. so if you do shoot the odd doe on leh or open season. it would be alot better if us hunters do it then a rancher or farmer.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 03-23-2006 at 07:58 PM.

I have put in for the doe but never got one but would have no problem shooting one.The way I see it if I am going to spend money to go hunting in the interior of bc from the island I am definately going to be coming back with some meat for the freezer. I only get a small amount of time for vacation in a year and i am going to make it count.If its a calf or a cow or a doe or a buck it doesnt matter to me, sure I'd love to get a big trophy buck every time but I just dont get the time in a year to go for a big trophy mulie or whitetail from the interior of bc.Blacktail from my backyard I can be a ittle more selective but if I dont have anything in the freezer I'll take a spike it doesn't matter to me.But its still hunting no matter what anybody says, I just love getting up at the crack of dawn and watching the sun rise or getting soaked to the ass out in the pouring rain walking ridge lines or stands of beautiful timber if I see anything or not having fun challenging yourself enjoying yourself in beautiful BC thats all that matters.