Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Doe LEH

Re: September Doe LEH

I'm not trying to put anyone down for shooting a doe. I just seeing things from a little different perspective. I think part of the learning process for a beginner hunter is learning that its not easy. By going for a region 8 mule doe your season will be over 20 minutes. If you atleast hold out for a buck you will get to go out hunting more which is really what its all about. In any case, someone has to shoot the does it just wont be me.

ive been hunting with people that had doe tags before and they always try to get a big doe and end up not filling there tag.but there week wasnt wasted, they had fun and at least were able to go on a hunt.

I agree 100% with Marc. One of the biggest mistakes we can make is to tell young- and new hunters that it is not worth to shoot a doe.

Just yesterday I have had a conversation with a friend, a professional hunter, about this very subject. He too agrees that the big buck hype is one of the biggest detriments that can spoil the fun for a new hunter by putting to much pressure on them.

It is a fact, that even professional trophy hunters cull does just to stay in shape and for wildlife management. Being a good shot on a archery or rifle tournaments means absolutly nothing to me as far as being able to be a good shot in a hunting situation.

The only thing that makes a hunter a good field shot is to get as many critters under his belt as possible. The more the better and doe's are a good way to start. Myles Keller a Hall of Fame trophy hunter said that he shot for many years only does until he became confident enough to shoot at a big buck. Even after he had shot four North American Bow Grand Slams he continued to take every doe he could. This is called wildlife management.

If we suggest to the young and new hunters not to shoot doe's or even make fun of them for doing so then we do not help them to become hunters. We hinder them.

I hunt by a saying of my father, which is; "Never pass up on something that you end up shooting on the last day of the hunt."
    Last edited by huntwriter; 03-22-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I agree with huntwriter as it's a great way to build confidense.I live south of quesnel and every day theres at least 26 does out in our field we put in for doe draws every year just to keep the population down.We tried to let people come on the land to hunt but it's not long before fences are cut and so on and so on.So I say the best of luck in the draw and the hunt.And after all you don't eat antlers.

I say if you get the draw take a doe it will be a good convidence builder and get some experience under your belt.It will also put some meat in the freezer.No one should be making fun of a fellow hunter or giving them a hard time about the size or sex of an animal taken as long as it was done legally.I think it's a good way to get young hunters hooked on the sport, going out time after time looking for that big buck could discourage a young or in-experienced hunter.

hey i put in for a mule doe every year,,,,,, but i will only shoot it with my bow.... and just because u get the draw it doesnt mean u need to shoot it.... its is pretty easy to get a small buck in october tho... u just need to know where to go

Well, my first large animal shot was a mulie doe. Yes, not as much bragging material, but the meat was very good. Definitely a good way to introduce my family to game meat. A rutted out buck would have been a bust. Despite the headgear. As a newbie hunter, I had been along on a few short trips and to get my teeth into it early sure helped the hunting bug bite hard. Would I ever shoot a doe again? Maybe. It is handy to have the tag and hunt an area for a buck, but if no luck, the odds for a doe usually mean meat in the freezer.
    -Tarp Man

I agree with Marc as well, nothing wrong with taking a doe. this year in area 3 just out of clearwater one morning we saw 35 does in the span of a couple of hours not a even a spike buck to be seen. Lots of guys hunting around that area, damn I wouldnt want antlers on my head if I was a deer in that area.

I put in for doe in reg 3 every year and if you get it you can take a buck to.

Does are totally worth putting in for. They taste delicious.