Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Clipwing" Pigeons

Re: "Clipwing" Pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
    Bopper,

That clears things up for me. Do you know where I can find this info as per Canadian law?
    It's in the Criminal Code of Canada, but I can't tell you the article or section number offhand....I have it somewhere in my orderly (?) files, I'll let you know if I can find it...

Re: "Clipwing" Pigeons

Im training a Gwp and from what I understand using a clipped wing pigeon was just to bring out the dogs bird drive. If he is birdy than he nver gets to play with a live bird again and should only retrieve dead or wounded. You would let him play with it in a pended off area so he could not get away. For retrievers it is different and you want them to retrieve the clipped wing or rubber band.

We plant live pigeons and chuckers for our dogs and have them hunt them and point them. Then flush and shoot a blank gun. For retrieving it should be dead. He should be able to retrieve a dummy or something of the sort without fail and give it to you before you get him to retrieve a bird. If he does then when he first brings it to you let him hold it for a few seconds at your feet so he can feel proud of what he has done. Then make him give it to you.

Look here in the free training tips. Go into published articles and look in the one that says training with live birds. It may give you some good info.
    http://www.georgehickox.com/

I sure some of this you know but I hope some of this also helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by Tron; 04-15-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    BCWF
    VIPDC