Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Wrangler for outdoors

Jeep Wrangler for outdoors

I am drooling over jeep wrangler for quite sometime now. Just want if you guys have any experience with any newer 4 door models. I am interested in Sahara or Sport 4 door models will do little bit of offroading , it will also be used as family vehicle so thats why 4 door model. The other choice is FJ cruiser but i want to buy North American .... So any help is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jeep Wrangler for outdoors

The FJ Cruiser is not even in the same category as the Jeep. Jeeps are crap - the Cruiser will eat it for breakfast. Toyota has an amazing history of off road vehicles. ever where else in the world Toyota's are seen - and proven much stronger and built to last. While the Jeep looks good take a look under the carriage of both and then re evaluate your decision.

the only problem with the wrangler is the v6 that is in it it came out of the minivan . the fj is ok but you can do far more to the jk. if you want to wheel it a bit, get the rubicon model as it will blow the fj away.
    my brother in law has an fj it is nice, have friends who have jk,s and they are quite impressed by them.
    and you can get all kinds parts for the jk anywhere.
    personally i would get the jk rubi model with the stick

Im a Toyota fan but the new cruiser is a POS mall crawler that couldnt hold a candle to the other models offered elsewhere in the world by toyota.
    It is made to impress the trendy lattesipping , kayak paddeling mountanbiking crowds that convince themselves that they have a 4x4 legend like the real land cruisers .

I would say that in north america your best option is the 4door rubicon as it has a 4to1 transfer case and lockers and is a pretty good platform from the get go.

If you plan on wheeling it, don't buy an FJ. The visability in every direction is awful, and is especially hurtful when out in the bush.

The traction control on the FJ also sucks. You have to make the wheels loose traction before the traction control actually kicks in. It's a good way to break parts when trying to crawl over something and it's definately not in the same league as true lockers.

The JK also has it's shortcomings, but the aftermarket makes a fix for every one of them.

I'm going to have to agree with Barracuda on this one. Buy the jeep if you actually plan on going out in the bush with it. If you just want to look cool when taking your kids to their soccer game, then take 2x4x16's advise.

One other quick thing about the FJ is if you want this vehicle to also be a "family" vehicle the access to the back seat kind of sucks. Had a buddy who had one and that was one of his complaints. Depending on how old your "family" is I could see it being a bit of a pain putting the little tyke(s) in the back, strapping them in etc.

JK Rubi's are hands down the best!!! I have many friends who have and love them, They can wheele like they are on tracks and great for family life. On the other hand FJs are crap, a few guys in the club bought them and now hate them. The FJ is not the cool old TOYs of the past, they are to wide, and you can't see anything. Jk unlimited rubi is my first pick by far. (I just can't afford one lol)
    Are we having fun yet?

Thanks Guys .

The only problem with jeep wrangler is some poeople say they are very reilable and some people have lots of problem. Just want some reliablity since this is going to be my only brand new car. Do you guys know anything about engine problems etc . Just dont want any mechanic trip every two months.

Hi,

I looked into the same things you are talking about FJ and Wrangler. i went with a 4 door Wrangler Sahara. Way more practical with the full 4 doors (FJ suicide doors suck). I ended up putting a 3 1/2" lift and 35's on it and it is awesome in the bush. Very easy to turn around in the bush and the 4X4 is perfect. It can haul most trailers and if you need to you can almost lay flat out when the seats are flat to sleep in the back. All and all its the best hunting vehicle I have owned.

Good luck

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I'm not especially impressed with the marriage of the 3.8L V6 and the 6 speed manual tranny.
    The engine definitely needs more torque, and I've been told that the older 4.0L inline was much better, though I have not experienced this.
    The 6 speed tranny ratios seem to be too close for me. I'll seldom ever use 6, which is the O/D as it lacks pulling power, but gives the best fuel economy. Maybe great on the prairies though. Either 3rd or 4th gear should go. One of these isn't needed. Rubicon is the way to go, but Sahara gives more creature comforts/options and can be upgraded to Rubicon apparently cheaper than the price difference. Another thing with the tranny - if it's auto; it will shift up and down between 6th & 5th a lot because the engine's lack of torque won't hold it on 6th when you hit a climb. Otherwise I like my Sahara, the four door is much roomier, as the 2 door has a back seat access problem.
    Oh ya, stock headlights need upgrading right off the bat, as well as hood latches.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!